You can type here any text you want

Champion Iron Valve Spring?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

87WE4BOOSTED

I NEED MORE BOOST!!
I just purchased a new set of champion irons set up for a roller cam. I know Tom installed K-Motion 1.265 valve springs. I will be using a Webber 212/206 Billet Roller. My question is, will these valve springs work using this cam? Or should I have them replaced with what Webber is selling to use with their cams? I know they are selling PAC springs but they have two different styles. Should I keep the ones installed or choose one of these? :confused:
Any help would be greatly appreciated. :cool:

OD Outer: 1.244
ID Outer: 0.860
Damper: Yes
ID Inner: 0.770
Installed Height (Valve Closed): 125 @ 1.750
Open Load (Valve Open): 350 @ 1.250
Spring Rate: 450
Max Coil Bind: 1.100
Max Lift: 0.550

The other is:

OD Outer: 1.260
ID Outer: 0.860
Damper: Yes
ID Inner: 0.770
Installed Height (Valve Closed): 140 @ 1.750
Open Load (Valve Open): 410 @ 1.200
Spring Rate: 540
Max Coil Bind: 1.115
Max Lift: 0.550

Just had springs installed on my champion heads. They are K-Motion 140 seat press springs matched to a Comp 218/212 roller. Cottons tech guy told me to have them installed at 1.700. My Machinist told me that they have had no failures with K-Motion springs. Hope this helps. BTW, Weber racing rocks!

Mitch

You never mentioned your lift. Ive been using comp 941 for years with no failures. One set still checks out good after 3 years. Never over .500 lift and i had them at 1.75. Id like to see a little more than 125@ on the seat though. Id definitely shim it closer to coil bind to get the pressure up. id check every spring on a tester. They vary a lot

Tom knows what he is doing, I doubt you'll have any issues. I'd also bet he has them shimmed tighter than 125lbs. on the seat, but call him and ask to find out for sure.

K.

Tom knows what he is doing, I doubt you'll have any issues. I'd also bet he has them shimmed tighter than 125lbs. on the seat, but call him and ask to find out for sure.

K.

Id check this since the heads are often assembled at Champion to what a vendor requests not what is actually needed by a potential buyer. My fully race ported GN1's had a set of 26918 conical springs on it. Not nearly enough to even come close to maximizing the potential of those heads but would be fine on an iron headed engine that doesnt rev over 6000 and under 30psi. If you are running a hyd roller id go right to the 26120 conical spring and adjust the installed height as needed. With those and a .550 lift cam i shoot for 1.83-1.85 at the seat. Do not take it for granted that your springs are ok. More often than not they are wrong unless you ordered direct and specified what you want on there. Ive seen many cars in the last couple years that dont have enough spring. Something that worked on a 130 mph car 5 years ago wont cut it when you want to go 135+ today. As boost and rpm increase the spring required is increased a lot.

Id check this since the heads are often assembled at Champion to what a vendor requests not what is actually needed by a potential buyer. My fully race ported GN1's had a set of 26918 conical springs on it. Not nearly enough to even come close to maximizing the potential of those heads but would be fine on an iron headed engine that doesnt rev over 6000 and under 30psi. If you are running a hyd roller id go right to the 26120 conical spring and adjust the installed height as needed. With those and a .550 lift cam i shoot for 1.83-1.85 at the seat. Do not take it for granted that your springs are ok. More often than not they are wrong unless you ordered direct and specified what you want on there. Ive seen many cars in the last couple years that dont have enough spring. Something that worked on a 130 mph car 5 years ago wont cut it when you want to go 135+ today. As boost and rpm increase the spring required is increased a lot.
Are those Comp part numbers?

Back