You can type here any text you want

Champion stock ported VS Champion

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Squid4life

With a new build possibly starting I am looking at the intakes available from Champion. I already have a ported stocker, albeit not CNC, but when is it "the right time" to step up to the Champion intake, 70mm TB, and rails, etc? I have seen the pics, but not any from anyone who has used both and the stocker was corking up the combo, or the Champion 70mm was overkill. Any input?

Also, for the Champion (non-stock type) can it be used out of the box? Every ad for one points that it is a good base to have ported to your heads and sounds like you must port it...

Intake

I would have to say that since a stock ported intake has been in the low
9's & high 8's I don't believe that you should even be thinking about the
bigger piece

Actually to answer this question the first answer we need is what are your goals? Depending on that answer will make it easier to recommend or not recommend a combo or component

Hope this helps.

Wow, hadn't realized they had gone that fast... My stocker is ported, but no CNC type porting. The EGR is removed and welded, and there is a lot of work done inside so I would hope it is somewhat close to a Champion ported stocker. Aside from deciding in my head on what to run for the new build, (in all areas) I was wondering which TB is pretty much the max for the stock intake. 62mm? 70mm? This whole build was going to be something not too wild, but it is all turning into "well XXXX is just a little bit more $ than XX so maybe I shold go with that". Trying to do this next build right from the start, and go balls deep.

I got your email this morning, I will give you a shout after the holidays and we can talk about the stroker info.

Thanks!

Actually to answer this question the first answer we need is what are your goals? Depending on that answer will make it easier to recommend or not recommend a combo or component

Hope this helps.

Yeah, I have said the same things a few hundred times on here... :D

I would like to run mid 10's and not be at 100%. I would like to "overbuild" if you know what I mean. I have always built something up, then not be satisfied with it. You know, it is never enough. So if buying an intake that is a tad on the "too big" side or "not yet necessary side" leaves growing room later, that is good. But with what Dan said above, it may not be necessary at all.

My thoughts:
girdled 109
stroker (or at least good crank, rods, and pistons)
Rev x roller 210/215 from full throttle, or the ductile comp 212 from cottons
Champion irons
70mm RJC plenum and TB
ported stock headers or possibly aftermarket
really liking the GT6776 turbo
Powerstroke IC, or the unit from Mark Huefman
I have no problems getting another converter higher than 3,000.

Any ideas? I know I am forgetting a lot...

bigger piece
I disagree with this. The reason the intake was in the low 9's and 8's is because more than likely the rules of the class the racers were running in required the stock intake. In a solid cammed application that has the race ported heads (especially ones with raised runners) and revs to 6400+ there should be a benefit. The 6776 3 bolt has been in the 9's but would it be the correct choice for all racers that just want 9's? The single walbro 340 has been mid 10's without alky but would it be the same for everyone? IMO if you are able to benefit from the race ported heads then you should be able to gain from the matching intake. However i agree that on cars trapping slower than 140mph there is probably not any gain. Id like to see an actual comparison on a car with the swap and the a/f dialed in the same on the same day myself.

With a new build possibly starting I am looking at the intakes available from Champion. I already have a ported stocker, albeit not CNC, but when is it "the right time" to step up to the Champion intake, 70mm TB, and rails, etc? I have seen the pics, but not any from anyone who has used both and the stocker was corking up the combo, or the Champion 70mm was overkill. Any input?
Go with the stock ported. I've had multiple conversations with Dan and other folks on this board about this who've tested this and for what you're looking to do, the stock ported will do what you need no problem.

bigger piece

I have had this conversation with Dan in the past and told him I had both intakes, what should I run. I ran the BGC intake first and thought Dan was off his rocker. I called him and told him that this intake hauls ass. He said try the stock ported one. So for sh its and giggles i did. I gained more torque and explosiveness on the street and picked up a tenth and a half in the 1/4 with my 109 block with 1.5mph more with the stocker.. Its forced induction, the air will get to where you want it, if you are using and 70mm turbo and under, your limited. So the larger runners IMO are not being utilized. If your running a 76 or 80 series turbo then use the Champion intake where it can be better suited for that application. Bigger is not always better, especailly on a 109 block. Dan just doesn't build them, he races them.

I have had this conversation with Dan in the past and told him I had both intakes, what should I run. I ran the BGC intake first and thought Dan was off his rocker. I called him and told him that this intake hauls ass. He said try the stock ported one. So for sh its and giggles i did. I gained more torque and explosiveness on the street and picked up a tenth and a half in the 1/4 with my 109 block with 1.5mph more with the stocker.. Its forced induction, the air will get to where you want it, if you are using and 70mm turbo and under, your limited. So the larger runners IMO are not being utilized. If your running a 76 or 80 series turbo then use the Champion intake where it can be better suited for that application. Bigger is not always better, especailly on a 109 block. Dan just doesn't build them, he races them.

It depends more on ci and rpm rather than the turbo. Taller higher volume runners make more power in application where the engine is revved and has more cubes. If you look at whats out there in TSM the big restriction is the turbo and the block. If they could use more turbo it would make more sense to run larger runners and spin the engine even more.

Go with the stock ported. I've had multiple conversations with Dan and other folks on this board about this who've tested this and for what you're looking to do, the stock ported will do what you need no problem.

Yup, send the stocker to Stevemon (Steve Monroe) & he will do an excellent job porting it & rebuilding it for you.

What does he charge to fully port a stock intake? Better than a champion cnc porting?

Back