changing brake pad/shoes

turboaddict2

Do the brakes have to be rebled after changing pads/shoes? How hard is it to change the rear shoes? Any special tools needed?

You do not need to bleed them after changing pads and shoes. When you do the shoes just remeber exactly how you took it off. Special tool just some vise grip to remove the springs holding the shoes together. Also remember when everything is together to adjust the shoes so that they rub against the drums... The pads should be a breeze just get a clamp to close the caliper before installing the new pads.. I think thats it, I'm i forgetting anything guys????

Buying a $4 spring remover/installer makes doing the rear brakes so much easier than using a scredriver and vicegrips, so consider that next time you are in the tool isle at Autozone.

Do one side at a time the first time so you have the other side for reference. Pay close attention to the spring that falls on the ground and you wonder where "THAT" goes. Also pay attention to the adjuster orientation and how the "rachet lever deally" works and how the loose spring fits on it.

Adjust the brakes out until you can just get the drums back on. This will give you a good starting point and may give you a perfect pedal and no drag, if you are lucky.