Charcoal or gas?

gn1220

Recieved a gas grill today for my birthday but I didn't want a gas grill. I have a Weber that I like very much but my inlaws got this gas grill so I had to act like I was happy. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice grill, I just prefer coal. The crappy part is, my wife asked me 3 weeks ago if I would like a gas grill that a friend has and I said no, I prefer coal. Why do people insist on getting gifts that THEY think you should have? Now I'm stuck with this new grill. If I don't use it and tell them I will look like an ungrateful jerk. Gift cards rule.
What do you guys use, gas or coal?

The gas grill is great for quick meals. All you have to do is fire it up and your ready to cook. My wife used to never grill out because of the pain in emptying the old coals, putting in charcoal, dousing it with lighter fluid, lighting and then finally cooking after it warmed up after 20 minutes. Yeah, a charcoal grill is great when you want a very good meal or need to impress the relatives, but a gas grill will get you more grilled meals on the table.

I just bought the new Charbroil that is both gas and charcoal. I will probably put it together this week for some steak on the 4th.

You can buy mesquite wood chips and wrap them in aluminum foil. Cut some slots and the smoke will give some added flavor for gas grilling. I think their are other types(flavors)as well.

Originally posted by b231v6
You can buy mesquite wood chips and wrap them in aluminum foil. Cut some slots and the smoke will give some added flavor for gas grilling. I think their are other types(flavors)as well.

What he said, though I don't do it. I have no problem with gas, I haven't ever thought the taste from charcoal was noticeable or worth it. Went to gas and never looked back. We use the grill 3-4 times a week, normally. Smokers are awesome though, that's different. Rare treat. Ever had a fried turkey? That's some good eatin'. ;)