Cheap ebay turbos

LemansWagon

Anybody have any experience with the inexpensive T3/T4 style turbos that are all over ebay? They are obviously not garrets but a chinese knock off probably. Very tempting at the prices they charge but I don't want a compressor wheel breaking apart and going through my engine either.

Exatcly, 99% of the time you get what you pay for...

I don't know what they are selling for on ebay but we get emails from china all the time offering them for like $75 bucks:eek: You know that is come quality there;)

Well, it's one opf those things where I'm using factory turbos that I rebuild and they are selling these things for not much more than I can buy a used core and rebuild it. Actually they are selling for not much more than some cores. In one of my other projects I am using two 84-85 GN or 85-86 tbird 5 speed turbos (same turbo essentially) and they are selling these new for around $135. But I don't want to be the guinea pig.

Maybe I will try one on my wagon. Don't have any real money into that engine so if something happens I won't be out anything. I'm building a blow through carb setup using a stock 84 3.8 with 86 GN cam & springs, 86-87 headers, 85 GN turbo, 4 bbl carb, no intercooler, but w/ meth/h2o injection. And I bought the engine for $10

Well I for one wish that one of the vendors would spend the 75 bucks and buy one and have it tested. Just because a product is made in China doesn't necessarily make it poor quality. Most of the home electronics we enjoy may have a japanese or american name on them but are made in China. HKS which is a company that's very big in the turbo market, has it's parts made in China. APS, which makes real nice turbo kits for the LS1 cars, has it's components made in China.

Blow-off valve used in APS kit > Blow Off Valve (MP-B14) - China Blow Off Valves, Boost Controller, Fuel Regulator in Other Auto Parts

Wastegate used in APS kit > Wastegates (40mm) - China Turbocharger, Wastegate, Wastegates in Auto Engine

HKS wastegate > Wastegates (60mm) - China Turbocharger, Wastegate, Wastegates in Auto Engine

I'm pretty sure the turbos used on the APS kits are also made in China and are a modified Mitsubishi turbo.

CME makes a ton of turbo products, click on their other products.

Oh and if you're into RC cars, planes, etc...search that and you'll see most of the stuff you can purchase online in this country.

Doesn't Parrish's Fairmont run a Masters turbo?

Well, it's one opf those things where I'm using factory turbos that I rebuild and they are selling these things for not much more than I can buy a used core and rebuild it. Actually they are selling for not much more than some cores. In one of my other projects I am using two 84-85 GN or 85-86 tbird 5 speed turbos (same turbo essentially) and they are selling these new for around $135. But I don't want to be the guinea pig.

Maybe I will try one on my wagon. Don't have any real money into that engine so if something happens I won't be out anything. I'm building a blow through carb setup using a stock 84 3.8 with 86 GN cam & springs, 86-87 headers, 85 GN turbo, 4 bbl carb, no intercooler, but w/ meth/h2o injection. And I bought the engine for $10

You do get what you pay for but since you're a before black kinda guy you need to come join us there. Some of the guys are trying different stuff so come and visit us.:biggrin:

I say if trying to save money buy used from board member with good rep. or pony up and buy from our supporting vendors. I would only want Quality in my car and also belive that you get what you pay for becides why stick money in china's pocket keep the $ in the us.:D

if that Chinese turbo were to blow apart there is a damn good chance it could destroy your engine.

when i built my 499 mopar engine everybody said dont buy the cat stroker kits they are china junk,well i bought it anyways.Took it to the engine shop to have it balanced,it didnt need any weight added to it just drilled to balance it.He said it looked like a decent piece.It worked great and i never had any problems with it after many dragstrip passes.Also used cats roller rockers on the same engine.I would check his feedback on ebay,you can usually get a good idea of how the sellers products from there.