Cheap stage2 ??

gnsrule

I found a semi-complete s2 on ctr engine. So far, it looks like its only missing rods and pistons,and the crank spun some rods and got hot, but hopefully ok. Its got 2 complete sets of aluminum heads, and 2 carb intakes.
The block is a 4 bolt, w/ cross drilled mains, 25500153. Cant get no better than that ...for an on center
So far, it looks like i can get it for a steal. If i go that route, what other parts or problems am i lookin at 'cuz its on ctr ?? Sorry to be so vauge, but i dont know squat about s2 stuff. I just happend to be at the machine shop talkin about a stock engine rebuild, when he points up on the self to this and say's " why dont u run this??:D
Block is .030 w/ no ridge. Pistons and rods are $1200, and what, oiling and pan is another $1500 ?? hmm, $2700 there and what the block would cost(if the cranks good)??:confused: hmm..That would be cool :cool:

Craig,

Talk to me about it on IRC. You can't really use the S2 heads unless you want to get radical and pay $$$ for a custom intake, headers, valvetrain, etc. etc. etc.

On-center block will require an intake; only real options are sheet metal (DeQuick or Cotton's) or the BGC unit if you can find one. TA may have one next year, I don't know.

You could use iron heads on it but it would be a shame to do it. :) You ought to find some 14 bolt GN1s or M&As to do the rest of the motor justice.

Ok ...assuming you are going to use thye stage 2 heads here are SOME of the costs involved.

roller Cam kit $1,000

Headers $1,300

SFI flywheel $300

SFI balancer $300

converting intake $400

Injectors 72lb min $400

heater box provision$300

fuel pump $400

stainless ex. valves $240

These are just some of the costs involved , depending on how fast you want to go. $1200 for pistons and rods are a great price. I paid amost $1,000 for a set of 8 pistons (2 spares just in case) and rods i've seen go for almost $1,000 also. There are tons of other costs including stuff like Felpro/DFI, 9" rear, 400 tranny, a good suspension, roll bar, turbo to do a s-2 justice (especially w/ stage 2 heads)and there could be more costs in the machining of the heads and block, especially if your crank-rod combo makes too much compression. I don't know what your current combo is now, and maybe you have some parts that you can use on the S2, but i'm finding out if you want to be in the 9's or lower 15k seems to be the norm..Hope this helps.

As a general rule of thumb, take whatever you THINK it's going to cost and double it. There are so many unforeseen things you're going to run into that trying to put a firm price on it will just depress you later.

Originally posted by JayC
As a general rule of thumb, take whatever you THINK it's going to cost and double it. There are so many unforeseen things you're going to run into that trying to put a firm price on it will just depress you later.

You crack me up. That's what Steve Y says the factor of figuring out what snowmobile parts cost. LOL