Check out my new Lightning - pic

I used to be a HUGE GM fan. Anymore with the crap theyre producing (Asstek comes to mind) I wouldnt take a new GM product if they were giving them away. I hate to turn my back on my old stand by GM but theyve gotten so outta whack that theyve lost me as a new car buyer.

Ok, Id take a Z06 if they were free so the above statement wasnt totally[i/] true :D

As bad as I hate to admit if I was in the market for a new vehicle Id stroll right down to the local ford dealer and drive home the nice black lightning theyve got on the lot. It'd make a NICE tow vehicle for the Syclone IMO.

Originally posted by turbosam6
Maybe you should read those message boards a little more carefully. I've read many posts where guys have pulled sub 2.0 60' times, and there are countless 13 second stock Lightnings. Hell, mine ran 12.9's with a chip, slicks and air intake/ exhaust. I wouldn't race a "fast" street car with it, thats what the GN is for. But stock vs. stock, I bet the Lightning and TTA are very close. both run 13's stock. No, my truck is not "fast". Its faster than a lot of the pathetic cars around here, but thats not saying much.

And whats wrong with buying whats hot now, and not staying with a floundering car manufacturer? If Chevy made a truck to even come close to the Lightning, I'd be the first one in line.

For the record, I'm not the least bit intimidated by a TTA. They are very sweet, but that doesn't make all of them fast. I've seen way too many tubbed 12 second cars to be scared of looks. Anything can be fast, you never know. Give me some good reasons why a sy/ty would be better than a Lightning? I fail to see it. Easier to park maybe.
You're right and I'm wrong....how's that? A lightning can keep right up there with a Turbo T/A :rolleyes: I'll be MORE THAN WILLING to debate SPECIFICS and not general blanket statements which I've seen so far. Both truck have thier advantages/disadvantages. But as far as my "high and mighty" car's (using your words) concerned stock vs. stock your Lightning hasn't a prayer in 1/4 speeds, times or top speeds. No more than my car has a prayer at your truck's payloads. Apples - Oranges again.

A reason?....it's late here and have to work tomorrow so I don't have time to list them all but just for starters the Typhoon is quicker, looks meaner, gets better milage, has AWD and is less expensive. And that's comparing a compact truck to a full size truck for starters....I'll go into it more later when I'm awake. But when it comes to racing a TTA be prepared for an ass-whoopin. Don't take my word for it, find out for yourself if you can find one to race.

I guess all the valid and detailed points I addressed one by one went in one ear and out the other apparently due to loyalty.

I wouldn't suggest you be intimidated by any TTA, just think 2x about racing one unless you've made some pretty serious mods to your truck. Otherwise you'll be seeing some TURBO taillights.

I've READ claims about all the 13 second runs but haven't seen any videos posted of any in STOCK Lightnings WITH STOCK TIRES. Talk is cheap, the proof's in the videos. I suggest plugging the HP #'s into a 1/4 mile calculator and see what that spits out. Can you say 14's all day?

The one I raced was proof enough to me they're hyped much more than what they really are. When's the last time you saw a TTA let alone raced one. As soon as you do let us know the outcome, I already know what it'll be.

Truth is if you take your pick-up to a car street race be prepared for such. If I took my TTA to a truck pull I woudln't expect much. If you're out street racing be very cautious of the older white T/A that sounds like a Grand National pulls next to you and wants to run and if I were you, I'd run...for the foothills cuz you ain't gonna win. If you take the bait you're setting yourself up for a college diploma after the education you get on that race.

We'll be waiting......

Originally posted by TT/A1233
I've READ claims about all the 13 second runs but haven't seen any videos posted of any in STOCK Lightnings WITH STOCK TIRES. Talk is cheap, the proof's in the videos. I suggest plugging the HP #'s into a 1/4 mile calculator and see what that spits out. Can you say 14's all day?
If you are racing 1/4 mile calculators:

The '03 Lightning weighs 4670lbs and has 380 hp (underrated)

F-body.com's calculator comes up with a 13.4 @ 101.4mph

Figure in a 200lb driver

13.6 @ 99.9mph

Now figure the new Lightnings are dynoing 350-360RWHP (underrated by Ford) so thats 440-450 (assuming a 20% drivetrain loss) at the motor. Plugging in 445hp (in between the 2) with a 200lb driver = 12.9 @ 105.4 mph.

I usually go by the real world (track #'s) rather than what some computer program spits out but as you can see even the calc. say Lightnings are 13 sec trucks.

Personally, I've seen numurous STOCK Lightnings on STOCK tires run mid 13's but you don't have to believe me go to the track and see for yourself. With a little searching on www.f150online.com or www.nloc.net you might even be able to find videos.

BTW, nice truck QuickWE4! :)

Chris

Originally posted by Chris89Stang
If you are racing 1/4 mile calculators:

The '03 Lightning weighs 4670lbs and has 380 hp (underrated)

F-body.com's calculator comes up with a 13.4 @ 101.4mph

Figure in a 200lb driver

13.6 @ 99.9mph

Now figure the new Lightnings are dynoing 350-360RWHP (underrated by Ford) so thats 440-450 (assuming a 20% drivetrain loss) at the motor. Plugging in 445hp (in between the 2) with a 200lb driver = 12.9 @ 105.4 mph.

I usually go by the real world (track #'s) rather than what some computer program spits out but as you can see even the calc. say Lightnings are 13 sec trucks.

Personally, I've seen numurous STOCK Lightnings on STOCK tires run mid 13's but you don't have to believe me go to the track and see for yourself. With a little searching on www.f150online.com or www.nloc.net you might even be able to find videos.

BTW, nice truck QuickWE4! :)

Chris
The # debate will have to wait til tomorrow since I see several problems. I need my rest since I'm sure there's plenty of Ford Ligntnings needing my attention tomorrow. Gawd help-em.....

By the way, stock is a loose term. I know of a stock TTA (80,000 miles, exhaust, downpipe and NO internals) runs a 12.1 stock with no funny stuff (propane, alcohol inj, NOS.....just alll motor), do I get a cookie too? Stock is 100% FACTORY TRIM in my book.

I challange any STOCK Lightning owner schedule a street race vs. a STOCK 1989 Trubo T/A and see what happens....post the results here. I'll guarantee it'll be UGLY. I've been side by side by one which is more than ANYONE in here can say....and believe me, it was UGLY. So ugly that the Lightning owner had to do a U-Turn in the middle of a quiet 5 lane road to duck me after his SPANKING....guess he'd rather saved face than admit humiliation after talking so much smack at first. TTA's aren't loud or noisy but that doesn't equal speed. Wake up and feel the 21st century. It doesn't require 8 pistons anymore to go fast. On a side note I'd like to see a Lightning go 171mph on Indy.

I'm planning to move in the next month, maybe your flashy Lightning can help out just like in the Fast and the Furious?

Oh, PS....TTA's for sale if someone wants a fast CAR.

Nighty, night...... Buick fans!

loved mine

Quick, enjoy that new truck. I had a red 2000. Loved it. With a chip annd a filter it ran 13.61@101 in Vegas. I wanted a new house so the truck had to go. It also towed the GN with ease. PSP on the Lightning board runs 10.48@131. Not bad for a 4600lb pick up.

haha this thread is funny...

Here is some real data.

MY 03 Lightning with 1500 miles on it went 1.89 13.52@102 totally stock and tripped the scales 20 seconds later at 4900. I now have a Chip, Pulley and Filter sitting in my living room for it that cost around $600 bucks. I fully expect ~12.60s@105-106. Time will tell but thats what the 10 other trucks around here are running with the same thing.

As far as being brand loyal that is the DUMBEST thing I have ever heard. Why in the world would you spend your money on an inferior product? :confused: :confused: :confused:

That makes ZERO sense. Buy whoever has the BEST product when your looking. For every Product that GM has there is a car made by someone else that is BETTER for the same or less money execpt maybe the Z06 vette and I am not just talking about Performance.

Brand Loyalty is idiotic :rolleyes:

Theres some more proof for you TTA1233. I think most TTA's ran 13's stock correct? So do Lightnings. I fail to see how they are so much faster then. Now you've got eyewitness testimonials as to the Lightnings performance. What can you say now? As far as me being brand loyal to ford, well, lets just say my friends are still suprised I bought one. I have a Chevy bowtie tatoo on my arm, and I will always love them, even if its just for the older musclecars. I wouldn't touch a ford unless it was a Lightning or new cobra. I feel the rest of their cars aren't that great. But all GM has is the Z06, with its very hefty price tag.

OOOHHHH, you raced a stock Lightning and won? That must mean they are all slow and could never keep up with you. If I could find a TTA around here I would gladly race him. And I might lose. Thats OK. You like to keep saying that its apples to oranges, but then you like to keep reminding us that your TTA is sooo much faster. Its still apples to oranges. Wanna make it a straight up race? Add the 1600 plus pounds to your car to make the weights similar, bet you get spanked. But thats not fair, right?

Not to knock TTA's, cuz I love them and would definitely like to own one, but of the 2 or 3 I've seen at the track, they were slow. Most likely not tuned right, or maybe driver error, but they were not up to potential. So lets say I race one of those and beat him (which I would), does that make my lightning faster than all TTA's? I know if I set up a race with a TTA and won, you'd cry foul. You'd say I was modded, or the TTA was not running right, or something to that effect.

And one other point- you said "if I could find one" (to race)- EXACTLY- they don't make them anymore! Just like sy/ty's. Banks don't like to loan on older stuff, and some people like the warranty and new car reliability.

Arguing with you is like arguing with an 8 year old kid. Your stuff will always be better than everyone elses, you're never wrong, whatever. I love watching egos like yours getting deflated at the local drags. But something tells me you'd never line up with someone who you know might beat you. BTW, where are you located? I'm sure one of the NLOC members would race you.

So your TTA's a "fast car"? Because you beat a Lightning? Whats fast? Its all relative. If my cars faster than yours, is yours slow? By your logic it would be, but I know somehow you'd find and excuse for the loss you'd sustain by racing my GN.

Originally posted by turbosam6
If I could find a TTA around here I would gladly race him.

Rick is on his way to Springfield to look at a stock 37,000 mile TTA right now so you may have your chance.

Hey Spoolin86, have we met? You talking about Rick Pickowsky? Is he trying to buy every turbo car in existence or what? It would be cool to have one of those things running around town. I saw one sitting in a nice neighborhood one time and then it was gone.

I dunno if Rick would race me or not, he's not much into that.

The Lightnings are great trucks...but they are trucks. No Ford Lightning stock for stock is going to compete with a GNX in straightline acceleration...and a TTA is essentially a Trans Am with the upgraded GN engine.

I hate it when I read "onesy" "twosy" examples of someone running a suspect TTA high 13s... and the person assumes that ALL TTAs run 13.8-14.1. If 13.3 was possible back in 89 with lame Gatorbacks and stock config... we really have to consider "driver" and "tuning" condition of vehicle as culprits of the poor times. This is only reality.

As we all know...the Buick Turbo V-6 requires "tuning" and a level of know how to bring out performance. The 5$ question is how many "stock" TTAs are out there...let alone stock GNs??? With a $30 chip and 2 gallons of race gass, full turn on wastegate control arm and hello high 12s. Excuse me...but reality must set in that not much is going to compete short of a Z06 or Viper...and even those cars will lose to a TTA (in given example) if driven by poor drivers. If I owned a 03 Cobra or a Lightning and assumed that all GNs, TTAs, Syclones I was going to run on the street/strip were running stock...let's see you race for pink slips. I am getting the gut feeling that you wouldn't be owning your car long :D

Well, I certainly opened up a can of worms with a simple post designed to show my board buddies a pic of my new truck.

Thanks guys for all the kind words.

Before I go, I'd like to address the earlier post about "brand loyalty":
I did not buy this truck because I thought it was the fastest thing on the planet. I don't street race and I don't care to. And anybody that suggests that I bought it because I'm - and I paraphrase - "bouncing around to whoever happens to be on top at the time" is really not grounded in reality". I buy what I like, and I do so not so I can challenge every momo on the street to a stoplight race. Please don't insult me by suggesting otherwise and STOP PISSING ON MY FORD LIGHTNING PARADE ALREADY. JESUS DUDE. :rolleyes:

And by the way - my WE4 is pretty Godda*mned rare too, so na na nana na!

Enough already. :rolleyes:

Turbosam, TTA89 and others - thanks for the nice words and support. I didn't mean for this to turn into a Buick Vs. Ford argument. But I guess there really are no simple posts on turbobuick.com

By the way, a month ago this truck went 12.4 on nittos and pulled a 1.7x short time. It is by no means a stock L. Will I race it? No. Well, not unless I roll up against a TTA. ;) But seriously, I never really had car envy. If I roll up on another car on the highway and he blows me away at the light or jumps on me on the highway, I give him a thumbs up. It just ain't me.

Hey, now I have something to haul all those turbo buick goodies home in ;)

I've updated the pic on the thread (scroll down to bottom) to include my WE4...check it out.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=47472

Rich

Yeah, sorry dude. Didn't mean to turn the threads direction. Nice truck, btw. I just get peeved when this guy is always downing peoples stuff because its not what he would have done. I swear, every time I see a post with anything other than what he owns, here comes the same old crap. Fact is, if you want a new car or truck, and would like a little performance, Fords it. It pains me to say it, but facts is facts. Have fun with your truck, and let me know if you dust a TTA!

Originally posted by 70Firebird/TTA
The Lightnings are great trucks...but they are trucks. No Ford Lightning stock for stock is going to compete with a GNX in straightline acceleration...and a TTA is essentially a Trans Am with the upgraded GN engine.

Why not? What does a Stock GNX run? On the street I bet you couldn't even tell stock vs stock. They sure were not near 12s. Lightnings run mid 13s, there are a few that have been 13.30s all stock. Thats right in the mix of stock GNX territory.

Cars are faster now than there were back then! The GNX is cool but its not the fastest thing out there. Its the ability to launch it in the low 12s for short money that makes them cool, not what they do stock cause its not that impressive by todays standards.

Turbosam - I appreciate you speaking up :)

The funniest thing I've noticed about the Lightning aftermarket
is that there truly seems to be one primary tuner that everybody talks about - JDM Engineering. I guess the owner used to work for Ford so he brought a lot of neat ideas to the aftermarket. But I would have expected many more aftermarket tuners to be in the business of burning chips, doing mods, making parts, etc.

TTA89 - I agree with you. I mean, you can pick up a Nissan Altima with 240 HP for goodness sakes! Cars are getting faster, no doubt. True, it's not a torque monster, but the average commuter car, nowadays, is really putting a lot of power to the ground. I remember when my family bought an 86 Corvette brand new - it was something like 230 HP and I thought that was amazing at the time. Hell, the Dodge SRT-4 Neon is putting like 224 to the ground I believe.

I can't wait to see the Dodge SRT10 Pickup. That should be a real powerhouse of a truck. Viper V-10 and 500 hp. I'll be mods will cost a fortune though. The 2005 Lightning is also slated to be a 500hp truck. Man, that's a lot of horsepower.:eek:

I'm somewhat dissapointed with what I've seen of the new GTO. In terms of aesthetics, I'm not impressed. I think they could have done a better job on the body, but sometimes cars really look different on the street than they do in photos. I hear that they have already scheduled a revamp on the hood though - the 2nd year of the GTO will have a hood scoop. I just wish GM would get up off their arse already.

Lata,
Rich

QuickWE4

Forget about all the bs everyone is talking. You got a nice truck and thats it. So what if it has a blue oval on it. I love GM but like I said before if I was going to buy something new it'd be a lightning or a 03 cobra. Just enjoy knowing if you do run into a stock TTA you can take it out on the street ;) . Have fun and if you need any advice a friend of mine tunes and builds them. So any questions ask and I'll find out for you.

It is because of brand loyalty that the big three produced garbage vehicles for most of the 80's and 90's. Cobras and Lightnings rule the reasonable priced new performance vehicle world today, in the next few years maybe it will be Dodge or GM. Quit supporting companies that do not build a quality product.

Turbosam - we have not met but I know who you are thru Rick. He gave the guy some money to hold the TTA so I assume that he wants it.

Ford has built some fast cars in the past, to call them a quality product would be a huge stretch. :eek:

Never seen a Ferd product an old Buick couldn't tow... ;)

Not sure what kind of validation people seek on a Buick site but hey if you want opinions you're going to get them. :)

"Anyway, thought I'd share a pic of my new driver with my Buick bretheren.
Lemme know what you think."

Nice truck now tell me about your WE4. :D

No validation required - I haven't had too many new cars in my life, so right now I'm like the proud new parent - I need to show SOMEBODY pictures of my new kid :D

And since the wife isn't really impressed, I gotta turn to the board to get a couple of "atta boys" :D

Now, back to Buicks...

:cool:
Rich

Congrats on the Lightning. Never been much of a Ford guy but I think they are pretty awesome trucks even if they do have a blue oval attached. If I was looking for a new performance vehicle I think I would have to look hard at the Lightning or Cobra. Not much from GM that can compete right now unless you have the cash to put into a ZO6 Vette.