Chip installation pictures anyone?

Turbo6Smackdown

I put up this thread, because I feel guilty about bothering people to help me. Maybe a few pictures will clarify things, and I'd be able to do it myself. :)

Ok. Got the items in my signature about 80% installed, but still need a few pointers. Proper nomenclature will not help me, as I've not a single clue as to which wire does what, or where I should look for it lol. Everytime someone says that there "should only be one wire this color" there always ends up being more lol.
Thought I had the power wire hooked up to the chip, turns out I don't.

I don't know what A. a locking comb is, B. know where cavity D11 is, as there is no cavity D11 on the actual picture provided to show you, C. know what a "tap connector" is, D. where said plastic footwell trim is, or E, know where the "front end of the console" is either lol. Front end, looking at it which way? And what console?

Any help would be appreciated :)

partial help:

a. a locking comb is the end of a wire connector, the part that folds over the wires & sometimes has teeth on it that surround the wires & hold everything together. (see pic 1).
b. d11 ? one of the wires that attaches to the ECM.
c. tap connector, connects a new wire to some existing wire. (see pic 2).
d. footwell trim, (guessing), this is probably the plastic trim that covers the ECM.
e. front end of console is the part that sits under the dash, on the "console" where the shifter is. (assuming thats the console thats being referred to). If this is in reference to the ECM, 'front end' may refer to the left side (?) as its sitting in its normal position in the car. of course, could also mean in ref. to ECM, the part of the ECM where the wires stick out. kinda hard to guess since you didn't really specify what you were referring to, but since this is posted in the chip section...

In general, for descriptions, imagine you are in the drivers seat whenever you read the descriptions.

comb connector.jpgtap connector.jpg

Turbo6Smackdown said:
Who runs my same setup.

What setup do you have? Splice connecter are fine at first but eventually you will be fixing a broken wire. Trust me. But after having a couple wires break after twenty years, I finally spliced and soldered wires together and shrink wrapped them.

Gen 2 translator, razors alky, LC1 wide band, extender extreme alky chip, powerlogger, scanmaster, and 4" intake tube with integral cobalt ss maf.

That is a pretty similar to mine. I have have the AEM instead of LC1...

What are you trying to go? Do you have the plug-n-play harness for the GEN II to ECM? Are you trying to connect the WIDEBAND to your ECM so that you may use the WB WOT fuel correction? Where are you in this process?

I'm not sure what a plug and play harness is. I couldn't know, because I wouldn't know what a non plug and play harness is. And yes, I want to use the WB for fuel correction. The thing is that I THINK it's fully connected but not totally sure. I can read my wb afr on my scanmaster, but there's still wires unplugged down there, and I don't like that lol. And I'm not totally convinced my afr is correct either.

Are you trying to add the extra wire?

I'm not sure. I don't know what it is or what it does lol. And I surely don't know how to data log yet. No, I cannot understand the instructions either.

Is it a single wire with a squarish looking metal end soldered to it?

Why would you have to power the chip? Its gets its power from the ECM.

The additional wire is for an unused input channel in the ECM I think that his chip uses. This is a really simple thing. Youre making it complicated :)

Look at the plugs, they are labeled. Find D and find pin1 on the D side and count over. There wont be a wire there.

If you look at the top of the plug, there is a comb stuck in there to keep the wires inplace. All you have to do is pull it out, plug the wire in until it snaps in place and then push the comb back down.

Take a picture of the top of your ECM plugs and post it and Ill point it out to you. Im at work and cant find a picture online anywhere.

The instructions say that you have to plug in an additional wire to program the chip...

Yes, The grey wire that Bob sends with his chip allows you to make more tuning adjustments via the chip, AC Control, parking lights, and shifter selector.

The additional wire is for an unused input channel in the ECM I think that his chip uses. This is a really simple thing. Youre making it complicated :)

Look at the plugs, they are labeled. Find D and find pin1 on the D side and count over. There wont be a wire there.

If you look at the top of the plug, there is a comb stuck in there to keep the wires inplace. All you have to do is pull it out, plug the wire in until it snaps in place and then push the comb back down.

Take a picture of the top of your ECM plugs and post it and Ill point it out to you. Im at work and cant find a picture online anywhere.

Here is the link for the ECM Pins: http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/ecmwiring.htm