You can type here any text you want

Chrome moly vs mild steel weight diff?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
From what I understand CM is a stronger material so you're allowed to run a thinner wall tubing. That means less overall weight of the cage. So how important is weight to you?

Not sure what the overall weight savings would be. Maybe someone else knows.

If it would only be like 10-15 lbs I wouldn't care but if it's close to 50 I would.

Thanks

NHRA says chrome moly can be .083" wall thickness, while mild steel needs to be .120". The lesser expensive welded seam kits are .134" in order to stay over .120" at the bends. Weight estimate of my MS 8pt bar is ~ 70 lbs, so CM would be ~43lbs. On a 10 pt cage, the difference should be greater.
Greg

NHRA says chrome moly can be .083" wall thickness, while mild steel needs to be .120". The lesser expensive welded seam kits are .134" in order to stay over .120" at the bends. Weight estimate of my MS 8pt bar is ~ 70 lbs, so CM would be ~43lbs. On a 10 pt cage, the difference should be greater.
Greg

Thanks, so it may be close to 40lbs for a 10pt.

Mild steel will take a lot further than chrome Molly.Don't get me wrong chrome Molly is stronger but takes the weld differently ,meaning what the heat does to the joint being welded.you have to check the welds more frequently over time with chrome molly.That should be done often any way.The Chassis Book by Dave Morgan (DOOR SLAMMERS)covers this briefly there are other books on welding that will cover this.Take Care,AL

Moly is both stronger and lighter than mild steel but it is also more brittle due to its hardness/density. Chromoly tubing can be smaller thereby the weight savings but it will also begin to have stress cracks with time/use/abuse. I believe NASCAR uses mild steel in their cars due to the fact it will bend more before breaking but I don't know this as fact. There again, all the NHRA fuelers and pro-stockers use chromoly. For a street/strip car I would stick with mild steel - jmo.

Back