You can type here any text you want

coil pack

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

mojilla

Are the coil packs on the TTA the same as the coil packs on the grand nationals.
I belive my coil pack is going out, because my car has been running like crap the last couple of weeks. The other day I went to ohm out the coil pack, and found that there wasnt any resistance at all. The meter did not read anything. I did try a couple different meters. Is this possible, because the car still runs, just not that good.

try another ohm meter-

key on engine off-

check those wires at night, and you might see the wires grounding out on something metal-

i suggest MSD wires, they have NO OHM'S of resistance

HTH

If the wires were grounging on something could that mess up the coil pack.
THANKS.

IMO-

the coil pack has NO IDEA how it gives spark to ground-

so saying that the wires can mess up a coil pack is NOT CORRECT!

coil pack to spark plug is the same as coil pack to ground-
ever seen a 302 ford engine made into a air compressor???
same thing, the spark goes to ground-

since you ohmed out the coil pack and have ZERO RESISTANCE, you ARE NOT DOING IT correctly-

EVERY COIL HAS A SUGGESTED OHM VALUE!! ZERO RESISTANCE ON A COIL MEANS A BREAK IN THE COIL WINDINGS,

i suggest you need to get a multimeter and use it correctly-

key on, engine off then check the coil pack for resistance-

yes the coil pack is the same as the regal-

ohm resistance is measured on a good multimeter with the dial turned the function that looks like a HORSE SHOE-

HTH

Originally posted by Quick6'n'-K.C.
IMO-
EVERY COIL HAS A SUGGESTED OHM VALUE!! ZERO RESISTANCE ON A COIL MEANS A BREAK IN THE COIL WINDINGS,

THATS INCORRECT. if the coil had a break in it then the resistance measurement would be OPEN or INFINITE.

NOT zero, ZERO ohm reading is a SHORT

Originally posted by SHRPTTA
THATS INCORRECT. if the coil had a break in it then the resistance measurement would be OPEN or INFINITE.

NOT zero, ZERO ohm reading is a SHORT

so what you are saying is that since he is getting zero ohms of resistance, all 3 coils are shorted out, and yet the car still runs?

ive never seen coil still function correctly if its out of spec-

zero ohms, or infinite ohms its still bad anyway you want to analyze it-

whats the suggested value for the turbo cars coils?

11k-13,5 k ??

check them when the car is cold, then take the car out for a 20 minute drive, then check it again,.... if there is a weak coil it will show its self once it has been heated up from the underhood temps-

HTH

oh sharptta- thanks for pointing out that i was wrong-

Originally posted by Quick6'n'-K.C.

oh sharptta- thanks for pointing out that i was wrong-

It obvious hes not making a good measurement if hes getting Zero ohms and it still runs.

BTW Im sorry if you took offense to that, I was just trying to explain the measurement better.

Sure it's being measured tower to tower on the same pack?

Look up Red Regal T on the parts-for-sale.... he sells spare coils at a great price. It's something everyone should have a spare for anyway!

Back