You can type here any text you want

coilpack VS distributor

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

GN280CI

would like to know if the conversion msd distributor is advantageous? And we can put a msd 7al2 with systeme coilpack origine to put rev limiter ( 2 step )

This opens up many cans of worms for debate.

Your answer probably lays in whether or not you're having issues with the DIS AND whether or not you feel like you're getting the full power out of your combo.

I believe and Bill Anderson set his record runs on a coil pack setup.

Hey Marc, I personally experienced huge gains when i switched to a distributor setup. It was mainly due to the fact that I could not find a coil that could keep up with 7500 RPM. I instantly gained almost 10mph and 2 tenths.

FF

Biggest benefit would probably be the 2-step and getting rid of the c3i. I still run a coil pack as well as a few other 9 second TSM cars. We've swapped from a c3i to a dist at the track and saw no gains power wise on a 9 second car.

Hey Marc, I personally experienced huge gains when i switched to a distributor setup. It was mainly due to the fact that I could not find a coil that could keep up with 7500 RPM. I instantly gained almost 10mph and 2 tenths.

FF

Damn your making me want to switch rite away but I don't think I will be so lucky. I have a stock coil pack setup I'm sticking with it until I see it become a problem. So far it's been 8.56@159 I guess my coil works ok? I have seen other cars switch to distributor and not gain anything. I would difinetly switch for 10mph and 2 tenths. Maybe I'll just have to try it?

With the right DIS, you can have a 2 step rev limiter. You won't get it with the stock setup.
Been up to 155mph so far with old technology coil packs. :biggrin:

Maybe I should try the new distributor technology. :confused:

? ignition module

MSD 6 is recommended w/8551 Dist.
The 6AL has boost control but since many are using
FAST and let it control boost, I'm wondering if there is something else that will get down the track, as mentioned in the earlier post?

Donnie,
What convinced you to go w/distributor?
Thanks,
Gary

Gary, I'm sorry if I may have given the impression that I switched to a distributor. I was being sarcastic in my previous post. I can see no reason to switch to a distributor from the present system I'm using. And, I have user adjustable soft hit 2 step rev limiting control without a distributor. :eek:

To me 'DIS' means distributorless ignition system.

Ok,

Not a biggie.
I've decided (in spite of my reservations) to plug a dist into my situation because I have had no luck finding a trigger. Now attempting to figure which of the ignition boxes would be proper..?
Not to sure if I'm going to buy one yet because funds are typically short and there is a never ending list of other items/things that need doing.
Too bad I have a NIB Dis4 that most likely will never see the light of day.
BTW, I'm on you team when it comes to using a distributor and I have a hard time understanding why this fraternity has a problem catching up with what we both know is better technology.
COP would be oh so nice,
Gary

Damn your making me want to switch rite away but I don't think I will be so lucky. I have a stock coil pack setup I'm sticking with it until I see it become a problem. So far it's been 8.56@159 I guess my coil works ok? I have seen other cars switch to distributor and not gain anything. I would difinetly switch for 10mph and 2 tenths. Maybe I'll just have to try it?

Of course this is why we debate stuff. Do you have a problem spinning past 7500rpm? BMR was definitely solving his problem here.. one way or another. many times it's worth the dismissal of frustration.

Not a biggie.
I've decided (in spite of my reservations) to plug a dist into my situation because I have had no luck finding a trigger. Now attempting to figure which of the ignition boxes would be proper..?
Not to sure if I'm going to buy one yet because funds are typically short and there is a never ending list of other items/things that need doing.
Too bad I have a NIB Dis4 that most likely will never see the light of day.
BTW, I'm on you team when it comes to using a distributor and I have a hard time understanding why this fraternity has a problem catching up with what we both know is better technology.
COP would be oh so nice,
Gary

Gary, run the C3I with the DIS 4 as long as it is a newer one you probably won't have problems with it and the two step function in the DIS 4 will work flawlessly. Back when I went to a distributor the old DIS 4 boxes didn't work and were pretty much junk. I wanted to use the 2-step function in Gen 7 which relies on the factory ign module to keep time which is were the problem is with the factory setup. Otherwise, it works great. I went 8.70's@157 on the factory system WITHOUT a DIS4 box or anything else. Coil packs seemed to have a short life span on my car at the time. If I had a combo that ran over 6250rpm on a consistent basis I do feel the distributor is more stable setup but again only because of the way the factory ign module works.

Thanks Chris

Where would the serial number cut-off point be with the DIS-4, to determine if you have one of the good ones or a junk example?
I ask in lieu of being able to sell a NIB piece compared to a used POS which I'd rather drop in the trash and take the hit, than pass on.

When I did the distribtor swap it was pretty seamless for me. I sold my ignition module/coil pack along with my cam senor and recouped a good sum of money to do this conversion. I went with the MSD distributor (which cost me $80 on Ebay), MSD Digital, MSD coil with Cal's adaptor plug for the ignition module. I set it all up and never had a issue with it. I did get better gas mileage, better throttle response and more longevity on my spark plugs cause I could lean the car out more on idle with a 83lb injector. HP wise, I couldn't say if I picked up or not. But overall the car worked extremely well and I have never regreted the swap. So much so, I even did it with my Dad's car as well. It really narrows down issues when they rise with the distributor and makes trouble shooting so much easier then probing my wiring harness with a voltmeter from my ignition module to my cam sensor. So it was a good move for us......To each is own I guess.

Gary, I'm sorry if I may have given the impression that I switched to a distributor. I was being sarcastic in my previous post. I can see no reason to switch to a distributor from the present system I'm using. And, I have user adjustable soft hit 2 step rev limiting control without a distributor. :eek:

To me 'DIS' means distributorless ignition system.

How are doing a user adjustable soft hit 2 step rev limiting control without a distributor.

thanks
Dennis

Just curious, how many of you CCCI guys are using individual cylinder control?

Just curious, how many of you CCCI guys are using individual cylinder control?

I think I know where this is going.. wastespark messing up the individual egt measurements? boy I wished I had more of a racecar to take advantage of this stuff.

Cal.. I know it's a long shot.. but any chance you're making it to Noble on your way to the LSX shootout? We just got a new XFI from you running in a "really BIG" stage motored car last week.

Sorry to hack the thread.

Cal.. I know it's a long shot.. but any chance you're making it to Noble on your way to the LSX shootout? We just got a new XFI from you running in a "really BIG" stage motored car last week.

Sorry, I will be tuning at Cecil that weekend. Please don't hesitate to give me a call if you need any help with the XFI. Sometimes a 10 minute call can save you a few hours of frustration.

AND THAT'S THE TRUTH !!! was with tony today and cal was on the phone with him and helphim with bar he the man!!

Back