You can type here any text you want

Collapsed lifter

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TurboBuRick

Staff member
Been a few days since I fired up the GN. Last night I wanted to take a ride so I jump in and start it up. Usually I get a little lifter noise for a split second then as soon as op comes up they quit down. This time proved to be different. One lifter would not pump up.:rolleyes:

This is the first time I have ever had no oil leaks on a build. Now I have to pull the intake. :tongue: Got to love it........

If I'm going in, there all getting replaced. ;)

lifter

last time mine did that #3 exhaust lope went flat hope your's is just a lifter.

Comps?? I used Speed Pro and the are still kicking from 2005!:cool:
that sucks but you know it could be worse.

Been a few days since I fired up the GN. Last night I wanted to take a ride so I jump in and start it up. Usually I get a little lifter noise for a split second then as soon as op comes up they quit down. This time proved to be different. One lifter would not pump up.:rolleyes:

This is the first time I have ever had no oil leaks on a build. Now I have to pull the intake. :tongue: Got to love it........

If I'm going in, there all getting replaced. ;)

What's the symptoms? Loud tick?

What's the symptoms? Loud tick?

Roger that. Loud tick. Noise coming from under pass side v cover. I pulled it off to find #4 intake lifter mushy. I changed oil and let it run for a while but no go. Still will not pump up. :frown:

This just ruined my weekend. Speed shop is open and has some 853 but have to buy a the entire set for a v-8. :mad: If I'm going to buy a whole new set, i'm trying something different.

Speed pro and comp have the same manufacturer. The best hyd lifter out there is the comp 885 installed with zero preload/zero lash. 853's are/were hit or miss for so long I won't even waste my time with them. I've been monitoring lifter problems in threads and my experiences over the last several years. I've yet to see an 885 be a problem.

Sounds like a lobe.

FWIW- All comp lifters should be cleaned or soaked in mineral spirits and "pumped" with a pushrod until they purge clean. CC uses a tree hugger solvent in their processing that doesnt really clean as well as it should. You'll notice that a new set of CC lifters will have crud come out them while cleaning. That crud hampers their ops and contributes to the noise. Morels seem to be better in this area tho.

Speed pro and comp have the same manufacturer. The best hyd lifter out there is the comp 885 installed with zero preload/zero lash. 853's are/were hit or miss for so long I won't even waste my time with them. I've been monitoring lifter problems in threads and my experiences over the last several years. I've yet to see an 885 be a problem.

The weird part is that I been running these lifters for some time. In and out of a couple different motors. My next ones will be 885's set to 0. ;)

The weird part is that I been running these lifters for some time. In and out of a couple different motors. My next ones will be 885's set to 0. ;)

Maybe the feed hole has debris in it. I've got a set of 853's that have over 60k on them in the engine in the blue car. They aren't quiet but still work. I would not buy another set of them though.

Maybe the feed hole has debris in it. I've got a set of 853's that have over 60k on them in the engine in the blue car. They aren't quiet but still work. I would not buy another set of them though.

I'm in the garage now playing around. I shot brake cleaner down the push rod. I chased it with compressed air. Working the plunger. Put the rocker back and tried it. Did it twice now and no go.
think.gif

Got any 885's you want to get rid of? :biggrin:

Back