You can type here any text you want

Color of hood liner paint

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

87we410877

Whats the color or part number of the paint on the hood insulation that says BUICK TURBOCHARGED with the turbo 6 emblem. I refuse to pay 200 + for this and am making my own. Im sick of how the prices of parts for these cars sky rocketed after the 20 year mark. Thanks.

Hood Pad

It is a semi gloss silver, I have found a 3M Decal that is close and have attached it to my original pad to see if the under hood Heat will cause it to loose its adhesion. Are you planing to use a template and paint it on a new pad?

Regards

Whats the color or part number of the paint on the hood insulation that says BUICK TURBOCHARGED with the turbo 6 emblem. I refuse to pay 200 + for this and am making my own. Im sick of how the prices of parts for these cars sky rocketed after the 20 year mark. Thanks.

Time to find a cheaper hobby!

It is a semi gloss silver, I have found a 3M Decal that is close and have attached it to my original pad to see if the under hood Heat will cause it to loose its adhesion. Are you planing to use a template and paint it on a new pad?

Regards

Yes. Ive already made the template just looking for the correct paint. There are some aftermarket ones on Ebay but they are not 100% original although very close.

Yes, i think im going to take up frizbee. Think about how many frizbee's you can buy for the price of 2 Gn's !!

Let us see your results...... great idea.

Yes. Ive already made the template just looking for the correct paint. There are some aftermarket ones on Ebay but they are not 100% original although very close.

Yes, i think im going to take up frizbee. Think about how many frizbee's you can buy for the price of 2 Gn's !!

LOL:biggrin: I have wondered about replacing these pads.... OEM, color aftermarket, or DYI?

On the last count - frisbee, yea and it a takes effort to wreck one, loose one, wear one out or have it stolen. I could drop my insurance.:rolleyes:

On the first point - let us see your results. Its great to do you own, duplicate the original or why not use your own design? Its way over my head and wallet to pay 4-5 bills (shipped) for a OEM replacement that might show the wear before I realize it.

I want to get these exact!!! I'll find the color and type of paint its just a matter of time and talking to the right people. I like doing things myself but dont like 1/2 assing it. Anyone with any knowledge of the paint or where to buy please let me know.

My wifes cousin owns 9 Dupont stores. He has a computer that will scan the color, I will see what he comes up with.
Bryan

Thanks alot. Short of trying to call someone at GM i guess thats the best i can get. Has to be heat proof though. Thanks again.

Underhood color...

I have a fiberglass hood on my GN and wanted to keep the stock appearance...so I had the hood underside painted semi-flat black and then had a friend of mine take the measurements of the stock lettering on the hood insulator. Then, he lettered them under the new fiberglass hood using a very close to original silver color...It's so close to the original look that once in a while, some people ask me if the car came that way from the factory!...Here's a few pictures...

Claude.:)

That looks very good. How did he get the letters exact like that? And what color is that do you know? Thanks alot. lookin good!!!!

Underhood lettering...

Like I said in my previous post, he took the measurements of the lettering on the original hood insulator pad, made himself a template based on these measurements to make the letters as close to the original lettering as possible, and used it to do the underside of the hood, using some special silver lettering paint...I'm not sure, but I think the paint used for lettering is called "One Shot"...or something like that...Have a look at www.1shot.com for details.
I had this done a long time ago...more that 15 years, but it still looks as good as the first day I had it done.:wink:

Like I said in my previous post, he took the measurements of the lettering on the original hood insulator pad, made himself a template based on these measurements to make the letters as close to the original lettering as possible, and used it to do the underside of the hood, using some special silver lettering paint...I'm not sure, but I think the paint used for lettering is called "One Shot"...or something like that...Have a look at Untitled Document for details.
I had this done a long time ago...more that 15 years, but it still looks as good as the first day I had it done.:wink:

Thats what i did but it was time consuming. Just wondering if there was an easier way. That one shot stuff looks pretty good. It is not high temp though. But, it seems to have held up on your hood!!

"87we410877", there never was any issue with the paint caused by the heat...like I said previously, it's been done for at least 15 years now and still looks as good new. I wouldn't be afraid of using it under the hood...High temp paints are mostly needed when directly applied to hot surfaces like engine parts etc...but the underside of the hood should not be a problem.

Claude.:wink:

"87we410877", there never was any issue with the paint caused by the heat...like I said previously, it's been done for at least 15 years now and still looks as good new. I wouldn't be afraid of using it under the hood...High temp paints are mostly needed when directly applied to hot surfaces like engine parts etc...but the underside of the hood should not be a problem.

Claude.:wink:

Thanks alot. You've been a big help and i'll post pics of the final product. Thanks again.

Underhood GN paint

I have a fiberglass hood on my GN and wanted to keep the stock appearance...so I had the hood underside painted semi-flat black and then had a friend of mine take the measurements of the stock lettering on the hood insulator. Then, he lettered them under the new fiberglass hood using a very close to original silver color...It's so close to the original look that once in a while, some people ask me if the car came that way from the factory!...Here's a few pictures...

If you don't mind me saying...that absolutley looks just great.:cool: What a great idea! Really a great job! Hat's off to you and your buddy who did the painting. I'm envious!:frown: Now I want a fiberglass hood and Christmas is coming up. Maybe whinning to my beloved wife will work, but I doubt it. :frown: But anyway, really a great job there.

Bruce '87 Grand National

Thanks!

Thank you Bruce for your nice comments, I appreciate! :wink: I'll try to talk to Santa about bringing you a fiberglass hood this coming Christmas..but I dunno what he'll say...It depends if you're being a good boy!...:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Claude :biggrin:

Back