You can type here any text you want

Cometic Head Gasket Preperation

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

cpac

CPAC
I Am About To Install A Set Of .040 Cometics ,would You Guys Copper Spray Or Put Them On As They Come ,head And Block Are Surfaced For Cometics..i Am Useing Studs

I used the copper spray and never had a problem. I wouldn't put them on dry.

I Am About To Install A Set Of .040 Cometics ,would You Guys Copper Spray Or Put Them On As They Come ,head And Block Are Surfaced For Cometics..i Am Useing Studs

use copper spray between ech layer pop one rivet only

Claude

Don't forget to put some Cadilliac pills in the cooling system too.:D

use copper spray between ech layer pop one rivet only

Claude

I just installed a set this past Friday.

I took the layers apart and sprayed copper coat on each layer. I took out all the rivets. When Cometic put the gaskets together, they did not line up with each other. Just got to remember to layer 'em back in order:o

Also check that all the cooling holes are there.

Also, when I took them apart, there was dirt in the layers from the factory.

P8240016.jpg

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Don't forget to put some Cadilliac pills in the cooling system too.:D

Agree. After install you may get some head weeping. Also of guys have the issue and a lot dont. I did and fix with the GM pills.

Gnx .did You Also Copper Coat The Viton Surface ,cometic Suggests No Coatings Superrrrr Short Block Nice

Gnx .did You Also Copper Coat The Viton Surface ,cometic Suggests No Coatings

Yep. Took apart all layers and spray 'em all with copper, even the viton coated sides. Everyone that I spoke with said to take them apart and coat them. I had to drill my gaskets because I did the cooling mods to the heads and block.

I don't understand how the viton side is going to seal with such a thin layer of viton.

If anyone seen the Fel-Pro MLS gasket, it has a sticky coating on it. The Fel-Pro instructions say once you open the package, the gasket must be installed. The Fel-Pro gasket has a bead of silicone around the coolant ports.

Superrrrr Short Block Nice

Thanks

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Dirt Between Layers, No Wonder Cometics Weep Coolent

This was the case with mine. I would seriously check the gaskets before putting them on.

Also, my gaskets were not lined with each other. I'm not a fan of leaving the rivets in. The gasket has a chance of not sitting flat on the block. There are dowel pins on the deck of the block and rivets could fight each other. Once I removed the rivets, the gaskets layed flat.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Thanks Billy to sharing that nice experience

good luck in your project it look pretty nice and good

Claude

commetics

IMHO, I think were making this a bit difficult guys. With the advice of Champion, I use Permatex Hy-tach on both sides and retorqe once and no leaks! Dave

Some guys get lucky.

Use the copper spray. I had a set weap oil over night after I primed the motor (I had to prime the hell out of it, a couple of lifters were being stubborn). came back the next morning to oil dripping down the side of the block. After just priming it. :mad: Perfectly decked surfaces BTW. Cometic swears they wont leak. :rolleyes: Talk to the LS1 guys.

But it works like a charm. I put alot of mid nine 26-27 pound passes on mine.

Retorque them onb the stand til they won't take any more torque. Back them off 1/4 turn to do it. When they stop tightening the same amount you loosened them you are good. Let sit for awhile between retorqueing.

I made a thing to hold two heat guns at the water passages to heat the head til the whole thing is about 200 degrees. But I am weird. Beats retorqing in the car after heat cycles.

It's weird, when I worked for BMW I never had a problem. Their gaskets look identical in construction.

Back