You can type here any text you want

Cometic question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

EVIL

BANNED FOREVER
I've done a search with no results so here goes.

Has anyone else noticed that the cometic head gaskets block about a 1/4 of the oil return hole in the head?

D

Would it be wise to mark the extra gasket material and trim it?

D

Why would a big name like cometic have a gasket that blocks the oil return passage? These gaskets have been around for years, and they never bothered to correct this?? I think this is sad for a big gasket company to let an oversight like this to go on for so long. Geez....

Why would a big name like cometic have a gasket that blocks the oil return passage? These gaskets have been around for years, and they never bothered to correct this?? I think this is sad for a big gasket company to let an oversight like this to go on for so long. Geez....
It may be left on the small side to make up for casting irregularities. I would definately open it up to match your drain.

~JM~

I've noticed this with almost every gasket out there. The cross sectional area that is left uncovered is still way more than enough to not cause a restriction.

I have not had an issue with oil return on stock heads. TA aluminum heads need all the help they can get for oil return. Add their Eliminator oil pump into the equation, and you better pay attention to oil return quality. ( I filled a valvecover in less then 20 seconds of run time with the oil pump by pass temporarily plumbed into the valvecover.)

I've installed plenty of Cometic gaskets and never experienced a drain back issue yet. It obviously wouldn't hurt to open up the passage, But I don't think it will create an issue.

Back