You can type here any text you want

cometics to lower compression?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

summit

I lost my cc numbers on my head, but it is at close to 9.5 to 1 compression. I am switching from Loc-Wires to Cometics and figured I would thicken them up to get the compression down a little bit. After I shave the heads down .010 to get rid of the loc-wire grooves I figure I will need to add at least .030 to the head gaskets to get the ratio down to a more liveable 9 to 1. So will .060 compressed Cometics get me where I want? I/m running a 274 inch stage 2 with Stage 2 heads on a 4.020 bore and 3.59 crank.
Greg Kring

Greg you may know this but run as thin a gasket as you possibly can....Easier to push a thicker gasket out. Aren't 1007 locwires around .042 thick? I'm running .057 Cometics in mine, 14 bolted. So far so good....Scott

I did some playing around using this compression calculator. If we guess that your chambers are maybe 40 ccs, this gives a 18cc dish with a .042 locwire gasket and zero deck height to get 9.46:1 compression. Going to an .057 gasket, with no other changes, drops compression to 9.00:1. Figure that you'll lose at least a couple of ccs off of the heads when you take the grooves out; a 38 cc dish would end up with 9:24:1.

Hrm...Thx Kendall, that may come in handy. I'd also check piston to valve clearance before I buttoned it up.....

You're also going to put the intake ports farther away from the intake flange.

Back