You can type here any text you want

Communication between ECU & Laptop

• Thread starter Thread starter SIXBANGIN`
  • Start date Start date

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
S

SIXBANGIN`

Anybody had problems getting the ECU to communicate with their laptop ? I've just installed my new B2B FAST system.

When I hit the F2 key, it comes up, ECU not found !

I've checked the continuity of the serial comm cable, it's OK.

Engine starts and runs.

I've checked the control panel on my computer ( Device Mgr.) all seems OK,

Serial port is Com 1 ( although I tried Com 2)

Still, ECU not found

Any suggestions ???

same problem

I had the same problem , I found the three wire data link connection was wired wrong . the two outer wires needed to be swapped around. The middle wire is white If I remember correctly and did not needed to be moved.

SIXBANGIN`What version of operating system are you using? 95, 98, 2000, XP? This can have a big effect on how to answer your question

Originally posted by TurboTTypeWE4
SIXBANGIN`What version of operating system are you using? 95, 98, 2000, XP? This can have a big effect on how to answer your question

I'm using windows 95

Re: same problem

Originally posted by turbo bitt
I had the same problem , I found the three wire data link connection was wired wrong . the two outer wires needed to be swapped around. The middle wire is white If I remember correctly and did not needed to be moved.

Turbo bitt,

I have checked these 3 wires. Here's how they are connected on my system:

A=N1
B=N3
C=N2

Are they the same as yours? ( after you changed them )

All three wires on my set up are black. I used coloured tape to identify them.

Mine wouldnt talk under DOS, but C-ComWP works fine. Dont know why. Its on a Dell Inspiron running XP. I have used my old laptop under DOS at the track. I couldnt get my old laptop to talk in DOS either. Strange....

This the windows version or DOS version?? I too, had LOADS of problems on my Com-crap computer trying to get the DOS version to talk to the ECU. Even though it windows said the com port was right, I had to ru some stupid diagnostic program then restart the computer in DOS mode after that everytime to get it to work. I got the Windows version of C-com and it works PERFECT every time now...

Derrick

DOS version will NOT run under Windows XP, so anyone trying that may end their struggles immediately. XP has officially abandoned support for DOS anything.

If you are running a previous version of Windows, I would suggest booting the computer in DOS mode and seeing if that helps. It fixes this problem 9 times out of 10. Between BIOS settings in the PC, applications running in the background in Windows, and stuff like that, sometimes the DOS software just won't work until you take Windows out of the picture.

SixBangin
I had a problem like that with mine at first but my problem was that 95 was missing the file that 98 uses. I took the file from win98 and place it into windows\system directory and the program started working. As of right now I don't remeber what the file was. As for why 95 does not see the port that it very weird since 95 does control because the bios controls the ports. 98 is alittle different.

I don't have a fast system to look at the connections sorry.

Re: same problem

Originally posted by turbo bitt

Yahoooo !

Finally got the communication problem solved. Thanks to
Turbo Bitt. The two outer two wires in the serial cable between the ECU and the computer serial port were reversed. Communication is good now.

Thanks to everyone who offered me ideas

communication problem

Sorry it took so long to reply back , Been out for a few days. Happy to see you fixed your problem and that I'm not the only one with the same stupid problems. I was just conferming my connections against yours this morning and found that you already posted and fixed it. Again I'm sorry for the delay but happy you fixed it.
Allan Gorneault

Allan,

I must admit that I was doubtful at first that the wires would be wrong in the "new" harness but after many frustrating attempts at other fixes, I tried your suggestion. Should have listened in the beginning. Would have had the car on the dyno by now.

Thanks again

Back