Please help me connect to my XFI

This certainly sounds like an issue with getting the ports to match. You HAVE TO ascertain in the Device Manager, which of the ports is being called upon by the XFI. It should be apparent when powered on and connected. Make note of that port, and go into XFI and change it to match what the Device Manager is telling you. Until you get that done, no amount of port "guessing" is going to help.
Please don't take this the wrong way, but my recommendation to you would be to find someone near you that understands how utilize the device manager and installing the correct drivers to help you out.

This certainly sounds like an issue with getting the ports to match. You HAVE TO ascertain in the Device Manager, which of the ports is being called upon by the XFI. It should be apparent when powered on and connected. Make note of that port, and go into XFI and change it to match what the Device Manager is telling you. Until you get that done, no amount of port "guessing" is going to help.
Please don't take this the wrong way, but my recommendation to you would be to find someone near you that understands how utilize the device manager and installing the correct drivers to help you out.

Your absolutely right. No argument here. I wouldn't know who to take it to though. Thats why I offered to send it to someone and pay them to get the port situation straight.
This is definetely a port matching issue. I can get into the device manager okay. It has 2 options. One is the serail port and the other is the Printer (serial Port)
When I click on the Serial Port it brings up another box which as a whole bunch of other options pretaining to it. Things I don't understand like speeds etc...
If I click on the advanced button it brings me to a list of available ports (1 - whatever). It's showing 3 - 7 as being in use.

I'll post pics in a few

This is very simple just change it to com 1 even though they are in use and restart the computer. Set the c-com to connect on com 1

This is very simple just change it to com 1 even though they are in use and restart the computer. Set the c-com to connect on com 1

I can't believe it's not this simple too but how do I rest the Laptop to Com 1? I understand how to set the C-Com to Com 1. Here's a picture of the screen shot.

0401121206.jpg

0401121207.jpg

You're going about this all wrong. I'll assume you're in win xp. You want to go to control panel, click on system, then.....you'll see the window on the left, click on the hardware tab, then click the device manager button to pull up the window to the right look down the list, and you'll see "Ports) Ignore ECP, that's the printer port. there should be a device there that indicates that the XFI is connected (comptuer and XFI are powered on, right?). WHAT port is it indicating the XFI is using???????? Whatever port that is, is the one you have to set in the XFI. !!!!!! Mine doesn't show any other connections here because there is nothing hooked up to it. You should see more tha what's shown here.
device manager.JPG

You have to have the usb cable plugged in to see the serial port in the device manager! Then click on the serial port properties , advanced and change it to a number you want to use for the com port even if its in use its ok, I will re-assign the port to another device on next boot.

I didnt look for the xfi in the big list. I was skipping right to the com tab. I'll try it the way you have said. I thinks that the ticket. I'll be messing with it in a little bit.

IT WORKED!!!!!

I plugged it in and there it was showing Com5. I linked up to Com 5 and bamn!

Thank you guys SOOOOOOO much for taking the time to help. I built the car and my brother put a tune into it for me. Since than we have perfected the tune once or twice but now I want to get a little control over this thing myself. The first thing I did was order the 2.0 upgrade with the self learn. It's perfect for a guy like me who wants to get it all set up correctly and than learn how to make changes on my own. Now that I'm connected with my laptop I can proceed with installing the 2.0.

Stay tuned. I would love to have you guys as resouces to learn more about this XFI.