Compressor housing o-ring?

Blazer406

Mechanical Engineer
Took my compressor housing off of a turbo I got on trade the other day so I could measure the compressor wheel. It had a small diameter o-ring that went around the step machined in the center section to help seal the compressor housing to the center section. This is on what I think is a PT51 turbo. Of course it tore and is no good.

I have only pulled maybe one other compressor housing off before... and don't remember the oring.

Is this o-ring supposed to be on all turbos or some yes... some no?

Where can I get a replacement?

Same thing happened to me with a TE-60 I ordered an oring from Precision. I would also like to know if it was necessary.

D

E covers don't require o rings.

I hated to ask the dumb question..... it appears to be a machned surface mating to a machined surface. I sure hope there is no leak...... but I am far from an expert.

E covers don't require o rings.
I used to work for Precision and the E covers do have a O-ring 3" inlet 2" outlet. I know that it does help seal the compressor cover to the back plate. The S covers 4" inlet 2.5" outlet, do not have the O-rings. I know Precision will sell the O-ring separately for a few bucks.

Precision may have used their own back plate which may or may not have been machined for an o ring or they could have altered the compressor cover sealing area. Ive seen several different style back plates or altered stock back plates and various alterations to the compressor cover flange area. I've seen them cut deeper in some instances and I've seen them shallower on others. Tmk Garrett did not use an o ring with an e cover though. My Precision 6265 S cover did have an o ring.

Precision may have used their own back plate which may or may not have been machined for an o ring or they could have altered the compressor cover sealing area. Ive seen several different style back plates or altered stock back plates and various alterations to the compressor cover flange area. I've seen them cut deeper in some instances and I've seen them shallower on others. Tmk Garrett did not use an o ring with an e cover though. My Precision 6265 S cover did have an o ring.
Bison, You are correct the Garrett style E cover or Stock compressor cover did not have a O-ring. The new billet turbos are now designed with the same back plate so you can swap from a E cover to an S cover without having to send the turbo back to have the backplate changed out. The older style turbos had a different backplate between E and S cover and the E cover had the O-ring and the S covers did not.

The new billet turbos are now designed with the same back plate so you can swap from a E cover to an S cover without having to send the turbo back to have the backplate changed out. The older style turbos had a different backplate between E and S cover and the E cover had the O-ring and the S covers did not.
This is really good to know. I never even thought about trying it. Thanks. I'm pretty sure the stock backplate/cover used an o ring though.

This is really good to know. I never even thought about trying it. Thanks. I'm pretty sure the stock backplate/cover used an o ring though.

It did. As does the TA series turbos from PTE.

I was going to add that my stocker has an O-Ring. But it has already been established.