Conelys Performance Plus Mag Tune Exhaust

1986 Buick GX1

GX1 #001 [The One and Only]
How many guys ran this exhaust system??

I've searched and only found one mention of "a muffler" and a couple things that were unique to CPP.

I'm still running the CPP Mag Tune 3in. dual exhaust that I bought from them in 1991.

For those that don't know, the system consists of a single 3in. inlet / dual 3in. outlet "V" shaped muffler that attaches directly to the downpipe and resides in the catalytic converter location.

The muffler has a "V" shaped baffle in the middle that spits the exhaust and two "tabs" on the sides (shown in sketch, not complete) so the exhaust crosses itself and exits the two pipes behind the tires in the stock location.

I know a lot of areas did inspections and guys were not able to run this system.
I've been lucky the areas I've lived, Ohio, North Dakota, Colorado mountains (emissions exempt) and now Iowa and have not needed to change the exhaust.

IMG_4465.JPG

I'm posting this because I've installed a TA 3.5in. downpipe and will need to modify the muffler to a 3.5in. inlet (cut the front of the muffler off to make a larger opening in the "V").

I considered a different exhaust system, but decided to keep the nostalgia and thought I'd share some Turbo Buick history and find out how many out there ran this system or know someone who did.

Thanks for checking it out.

The muffler is made of 304 S.S. and has mild steel header flanges welded on the ends. The muffler measures 22in. long x 3in. high x 12in. wide at the back.
I welded a 3.5in. mild steel header flange on the inlet, but have decided to use inside diameter S.S. tubing so I can use band clamps to get a tighter/ cleaner install and more clearance.

The kit came with crinkle bent aluminized tubing. For now I will be replacing the front part (ahead of the axle) with 304 S.S. mandrel bent sections welded together and do the rear a little later.

IMG_4470.JPG

Edit: added muffler dimensions.

Last edited:
Very cool, Really curious if it has that dreaded drone sound that many aftermarket systems have.

Very cool, Really curious if it has that dreaded drone sound that many aftermarket systems have.

It seems that different setups sound different .
I bought this system and ATR headers from Conelys way back when, and along with the Bowling Green Customs wastegate elbow and a custom 3in. mild steel downpipe on a stock motor running a TA49.
There was no drone.

It had a nice deep rumble at ide, sounds like a freightliner when exelerating (a lot of turbo whistle) and sounds like a swarm of pissed off hornets at WOT in the mid to upper revs.

We'll see what it sounds like with stock headers and the TA downpipe.

I need to find my stash of parts catalogs (copies stapled together and mailed to you) and post up some of the parts offerings from Conelys.

I thought I added this, but not sure where it went.

304 SS stubbs welded on so the piping can be slid in and lap band clamps used.

3.5 I.D. on the inlet and 3.0 I.D. on the outlets.

Not much progress due to suspension work.

IMG_4526.JPG

WOW! I’ve only heard tell of this exhaust. However, this is the first one I’ve ever seen in person. Would love to have heard it before and again after you get it back together. Very cool piece there though man!! And the quality is quite apparent as well. Love seeing this stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WOW! I’ve only heard tell of this exhaust. However, this is the first one I’ve ever seen in person. Would love to have heard it before and again after you get it back together. Very cool piece there though man!! And the quality is quite apparent as well. Love seeing this stuff.

I've been looking for some footage of the 1990 Buick GS Nationals. Lawrence ran it on "Black" and Jim Bell (Kenne-Bell) was furious that he was allowed to run his "home made tin can muffler" in a muffler required race class before he started campaigning Tweaked.
I heard it at the nationals, that's what inspired me to purchase it.

Before this, I had installed a test pipe (1987) and while the cat was off I had to start the car (of course) to see what it sounded like right off the downpipe. I thought, that's not very loud so I had a muffler shop remove the muffler and make tailpipes in the stock location.

I thought the 2 1/4 in. tailpipes looked weird and installed some Monza brand 3 in. resonated tips which I thought looked right. My dad called them suzuki mufflers.

I was surprised it wasn't very loud and sounded nice with a lot turbo whistle. Guys would ask what mufflers I had on it and I would say "catholic mufflers". They would say: what?? I would reply: nun. Hehe

Since I thought the 3in. tips looked right I had to get a 3in. exhaust.

I just need to stop typing and get it done and make a sound clip. Lol Nah, between basketball and volleyball games and track meets and 4H projects and cross country meets I don't get as much done in real life as I do in my head.

My dad called them suzuki mufflers.

I was surprised it wasn't very loud and sounded nice with a lot turbo whistle. Guys would ask what mufflers I had on it and I would say "catholic mufflers". They would say: what?? I would reply: nun. Hehe

I just need to stop typing and get it done and make a sound clip. Lol Nah, between basketball and volleyball games and track meets and 4H projects and cross country meets I don't get as much done in real life as I do in my head.

Lol! Know all about the extra curricular activities (real tough at my house)!

Suzuki Mufflers and Catholic Mufflers! Too funny!!

That reminds me, do you know what kind of meat priests eat on Friday (during lent)?

NUN!!

Lol!!