You can type here any text you want

Control arm choices...

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

87geeinn

Buick and AMG pilot
I'm looking for a proper setup for my combo and of course would like to save a couple of bucks if possible. With that said, my car does not see any track time and is strictly a weekend warrior. I want a very tight street fighter and am not concerned with vibration/ride quality all that much. Are the boxed type much more superior/rigid than tubulars? Will tubulars be adequate on my combo? I do plan on adding a 1" sway bar, Bilsteins and stickier tires in the future. Should I go with the cheaper tubular CAs from UMI such as this set:

http://www.fullthrottlespeed.com/it...16B~eq~~Tp~.htm

or should I go with the boxed type from H&R:

http://www.fullthrottlespeed.com/it...902~eq~~Tp~.htm

Links work when I first posted. :confused: Basically should I go with the tubular upper and lower control arms from UMI or the more expensive boxed type from H&R for a strictly street setup? Both have poly bushings.

I wouldn't buy either ! Poly binds too much. the rear suspension design in these cars is considered a converging 4 link as the rear moves up and down the trailing arms move toward and away from each other. these suspensions don't work efficiently with factory style rubber because of bind poly just makes it worse.

At one time I had box arms (hotchkis to be exact) with poly bushings upper and lower and I found that the car had a jittery feel in turns especially if there were any bumps in the turn, I also found I had an oversteer issue with the poly bushings in the rear arms. I went to Edelbrock adjustable uppers and Currie Curri-trac lowers and it was a world of difference for the better (you can use the Currie uppers too but the Edelbrocks are almost the same and a lot cheaper). Both these arms feature a "Johnny Joint" in one end of them allowing for the movement needed for the suspension to work better, I don't want you to get the wrong impression these wont remove all the bind from the rear suspension, I don't think anything will but the less the better!

As for a swaybar I think these cars would be best off with something that's not solid mount like a factory style but as far as I know the only company making one is H&R and from what I have herd its more of a drag race bar than anything, rumor has it that SCandC (www.scandc.com) will be coming out with a really nice dual purpose non solid mount bar in the near future.

Hope this helps

FYI I ordered a set of the Currie arms not too long ago and they were on back order for a little over a month (but worth the wait)

SCandC is a distributor of the Currie arms he may have them in stock he also sells a really nice front frame brace for our cars and his Stage II front end setup is an EXCELLENT product.

NOTE: I am not affiliated with SCandC in any way I am just a very satisfied customer.

What he said!

Not affilaited (can't even spell it!) with SC&C either. Can't say enough about Mark and his products. Do yourself a favor and at least call them!

Back