converted 84 to 87 ECM....

O SO LO

I converted my 84 GN to 87 ECM, 87 chip, 84 calpak, 87 MAF, 87 Coil/Ign. module, MAT install, Scanmaster today and now car won't start :mad: :mad:

Any ideas??

Here is what does come up on Scanmaster if that helps:

AF -03
L8 00
bat 13.1
Int 128
bL 128
Mph 00
Clt 64
AtS 63
r 00
tPS .38
IAC 150
cc 00
Mal 00

I had actually disconnected the battery all together...I later disconnected the orange wire by battery and tried to clear any codes...but nothing changed...

Mark

I'll recheck everything in the next day or two and let you know...

Thanks,
Mark

If all your connections are good put all your original parts that worked before the conversion back in and see if it starts again. If it does put the 87 ecm, maf and chip in and see what happens, if it starts then next try it with the 87ignition module. There is nothing worse than installing a bunch of parts and have it stop working. You will have to do it in steps and use the process of elimination to determine if one of the conversion parts is bad.

I took the 87 coil/ ign. module, adapter wire off, and put the 84 coil back on--car started right up!!
So, How do I ohm out the coil, ign. module and CCCI adapter to find where the problem lies. I'm sure all the connections were tight.

Parts were new in box coil bought on eBay, ign. module from gyrhead, and adapter wiring from Casper's --so you would think put it all together plug it in and it would go...so I think its odd car would turn over and not start.
Powers been out for a couple of days, sorry didn't get back sooner.

Did you ever find out exactly which part was bad? I cant imagine it being the harness. I also cant imagine it being the coil as you would think a couple coils would still be good and the car would just run like crap. I would think the module is bad. To ohm the coil, just use a meter and put a lead on each side of each coil. The should all be pretty close to one another, and I think they are usually around 11k ohms.

Check your grounds first. If OK, then Ohm out the coil with a simple voltage meter, testing the 3 towers. If the voltage is close on all three towers 11.8-12.5 range, then I would take the ignition module to a parts store. They can test it for you. Have them test it 3-4 times in a row. Testing it once doesn't do much, testing it 3 or 4 times actually gets it hot, more like under actual conditions. I took mine to an O'Reilly's. You would be surprised how many brand new parts are no good.

I ohmed out the coil as fbodlovr and imjoesnuffy suggested and found the coil ohmed at .00 I probably got a bad coil as I've seen in other posts. I'm going to get the ign. module checked today to be sure...

Now that I see you found your coil is bad, I have a feeling your module will be good. Keep us posted, Im curious to see what you find.

I ordered a new coil so we'll see how that goes..went to a auto shop here but they don't have anything to check the module--Don't have O'Reilly's stores around here.

Just curious--I've seen before on here about a pink resistor wire that needs to be replaced--Is this what could have been my problem??

Talked with John at Casper's Elec. last week and he suggested to take out the resistor wires--could be getting a weak spark but won't start...It's kind of odd that some guys seem to just put them in and no problem and others need to change out the resistor wires to make it run.

O SO SLOW- I am one of the guys who converted with no problems. Where are the resistor wires you are talking about? Thanks- Brad

Hi Brad--The resistor wires are shown in the diagram below. I received a email from 84HAGN today and he said he had just recently disconnected his wires and noticed no difference, but had them connected for a long time. It's the pink/black wire from D4 (on bulkhead ) to P connector on coil. I got another coil and will install that one (it ohms out 11 ohms) and maybe put in a extra ground to make sure its grounded and try that. See if car will start then.
Mark

http://www.installationinstructions.com/vin9/ccci.pdf

New 87 coil installed today...

Well, here we go again...I started car before changing coil (84 coil). Disconnected battery, removed 84 coil/ign. module, installed new (second one) 87 coil/ign. module, connected caspers adapther, plug wires, even ran a seperate ground to block and aluminum adapter plate to insure good ground, connected battery, Car turns over but will NOT start!!!:mad: :mad: So anymore suggestions?? Or what am I overlooking??
Mark