converted 84 to 87 ECM....

adapter

I know this sounds stupid but you do have the right harness adapter?
There are 2 availible 1 is for converting 84/85 to 86/87 and the other is the ignition tester harness.
I will post a pic of the one that is on my car.
Mike

Adapter

here is what the adapter looks like installed:
along with some pics after wet sanding and buffing:biggrin:

Attachments

• WELL CAR 015.jpg
    WELL CAR 015.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 507
  • WELL CAR 014.jpg
    WELL CAR 014.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 508
  • WELL CAR 013.jpg
    WELL CAR 013.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 494
  • WELL CAR 011.jpg
    WELL CAR 011.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 495
Well, here we go again...I started car before changing coil (84 coil). Disconnected battery, removed 84 coil/ign. module, installed new (second one) 87 coil/ign. module, connected caspers adapther, plug wires, even ran a seperate ground to block and aluminum adapter plate to insure good ground, connected battery, Car turns over but will NOT start!!!:mad: :mad: So anymore suggestions?? Or what am I overlooking??
Mark

Ok, one step at a time. :cool:
Are you getting any spark with the 87 coil/ign?

No Start test...

Worked through the No Start Test today...Here's what I found...
#1--ECM A-b connector voltage --varying volts .7-.9, should be 1 to 7 volts,
#2--A-11 connection --.7 to .9 volts, should be 1 to 7 volts,
#3--cam sensor plug--A-2.8v, B-2.79v, C-2.79v, should be 5 to 11 volt,
unbolted coil from ign. module, turned key on, voltage on blue wire was 12.6 volts!!--"If it DOES have 12 volts, then the problem is likely the ignition module". According to No Start Test.
So... I guess I'll be ordering an Ignition Module on Monday.:eek: :(

84 to 87 coil delayed for now...

Well, I've tried 2 new coils and 2 new ign. modules and they same thing...Car won't start...I've swapped the the coils and ign. module as well...car won't start---So for now I'm going to run the 84 coil until I have to swap the coil or I need to buy a coil simulator and test these coil units and see if the 2 ign. modules are bad. Put the original coil back in and starts right up. Can't afford to keep throwing money at it and no results.
Mark

Well, I've tried 2 new coils and 2 new ign. modules and they same thing...Car won't start...I've swapped the the coils and ign. module as well...car won't start---So for now I'm going to run the 84 coil until I have to swap the coil or I need to buy a coil simulator and test these coil units and see if the 2 ign. modules are bad. Put the original coil back in and starts right up. Can't afford to keep throwing money at it and no results.
Mark

did you ever replace the resistor wire? just curious, i seen some threads stating it should be done, but i have not had a problem. I wonder if my car would run better if i did replace that wire. maybe someone will chime in!

I found that the resistor wire is hard to find and apears to be a PIA to correct. The simple way (I like simple) is to get the Caspers 86/87 hot wire kit for the coil module. Thanks- Brad

I found that the resistor wire is hard to find and apears to be a PIA to correct. The simple way (I like simple) is to get the Caspers 86/87 hot wire kit for the coil module. Thanks- Brad

did you feel a difference doing this modification?

I forgot to mention that I did not see any peformance improvement with the Caspers hot wire coil module kit which bypasses the resistor. I would call John Spina at Caspers about this issue before you spend money. Thanks- Brad

Conversion

Just a suggestion :
Verify that you have a good adapter and check each wire for continuity.
from plug to plug on the adapter.
Look at the picture of my adapter and verify that all the wires are in the proper location.
Could have a wire out of place.

hello,
i suffered a similar problem about 3 months ago with an 84 to 87 conversion.
did you by any chance install an 87 crank sensor on your car before you converted? if you did the harness from casper's to connect this has two wires that are reversed from the 87 module since they make the connector for the 84 module.
it is the signal wire and the power wire for the crank sensor that are in different locations for the 87 sensor. i fought this for about 2 weeks and about went nuts. it causes the sensor to have power all the time and it is supposed to rise and fall so the ecm sees a signal to fire.
call john at casper's and ask him about this. i hope it helps you.
d.g.

I checked the power to the M and P connection yesterday and I do have 12 volts there at both...I ohmed out all connnctions and they are ok...I did notice that (according to a file i have on CCCI cobnversion) that on my adapter the H connection goes to H, instead of J, and J went to G or something like that--similiar to what 878don is talking about--they go to the crank sensor--mine crank sensor is still the 84. maybe I have the wrong adapter?...

I haven't seen any spark and if it is--it's very weak.

Well, typically a weak spark points to;
Weak coil pack (you already replaced this)
Low voltage at battery/to the coil
Bad grounds

Funny that you can get it to run with the stock set-up.
Even with a weak spark, it should starts though.
What about the firing order on the 87 coil and wires from coil/ignition module? May want to verify this as well.

Edit:
Did you see this yet? May give you some ideas what you should be tracing.
Ignition Module Swap

Thanks Jerryl, That link is the one I was looking for! In my post above, I think my adapter is wrong--the crank sensor wires are reversed--would this keep the car from running or just run rough?

I honestly do not know if the wires at the crank sensor need to be messed with. There have been many conversions and, this has never come up. There was no need for me to do this and I swapped back and forth a few times.

Remove the pigtail and measure the resistance of the wires/connectors. Then measure the voltages on the end of the pigtail. Post back with the findings.

I ohmed out the adapter and all came to 0.00 ohms, connected the adapter to 84 harness and power to connector M was 11.62 volts, and 11.56 volts on connector P on the adapter, Battery voltage was 12.10 at the time.

I ohmed out the adapter and all came to 0.00 ohms, connected the adapter to 84 harness and power to connector M was 11.62 volts, and 11.56 volts on connector P on the adapter, Battery voltage was 12.10 at the time.

OK, Cool.
How are the wires from the ignition module to the coilpack connected?
Verify those wires. If those are good, use the process of elimination.

You should be able to connect the 87 coil on the HA module.
Also connect the HA coil on the 87 module.

Make sure you have a good ground on the module as well.