Converter upgrade worthwhile ?

dsa87gn

Been considering a converter upgrade on my car. My mods are the basic bolt-ons below.

My 49 spools pretty decent but was wondering how much a converter would wake it up on the low end.

Would a 2800 stall be a worthwhile upgrade ?

It’s all about the combo . But yes a converter will do a lot . I would look at something Alil loser then 2800 imo . 3200 lock up would be perfectly fine on the streets. Cruisin around but still have the stall to let the turbo spool agian just my opinion .

Been considering a converter upgrade on my car. My mods are the basic bolt-ons below.

My 49 spools pretty decent but was wondering how much a converter would wake it up on the low end.

Probably not in your case. Change convertors to accommodate a new cam, or a larger turbo that needs the higher stall to spin the motor up to get the thing to make boost. The combo in your signature exhibits neither. The TA49 has been considered the best stock replacement turbo for the last 30 years because it works with the stock convertor. The rest of your mods are rounding error in the equation.

If you think it spools fine, then you're good for now.

With a 49 I wouldn't waste your time or money.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Adding low gear timing and leaning out low gear fuel will wake a convertor up in a hurry. Most will immediately go to a looser convertor. This AC 16930 is far to tight for the 6262 JB I'm running...yet I pull 1.5's via low gear tuning.

I ran 10s on a 49 with a 3200 stall locking up in 3rd to keep the Rpms low with the stock cam.my friend ran a 3500 stall non lock ac on his 49 car to 11 flat stock motor.these cars would light up right off the footbrake and 60ft in the 1.4s.on the street they were a blast to drive with instant spool.if you have a pte ex housing on the turbo you could try a garret which will bring it up faster.inmo the stock converter with anything but a stock turbo is lame.the 49 responds a lot faster with the right converter especially on the street.dont get me wrong on the track a stocker can work with a ebrake and some time to but boost but on a pro tree or from a roll a 9inch or 10 inch will be faster

A TA49 needs something a little looser than a stock stall converter. When I went to a TA49 with a stock converter it felt like I was pulling an anchor. Depending on how you use the car will depend on what stall would be ideal. If it's strictly a street car I would pick something in the 2800-3000 stall range. Anything bigger and your going to loose some drivability. If the car sees a lot of track time then I would go a little bigger. JMHO

Scooby-Doo your AC-16930 what stall is that rated?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Scooby-Doo your AC-16930 what stall is that rated?

A tough question to answer. It honestly depends how much of a low gear tune I throw at it. It spools fairly quick and 'loosens' up with the low gear 02's around 770 and an extra 6 degrees of low gear timing. Leave Erics chip on the default settings and the car can't get out of it's own way. I believe the rating is something like 2800-3000...but again...that's up for interpretation.

Thanks for the replies. My 49 does have the garret housing.

My car is a street car with a rare track appearance. I haven't done a mod in a while and was thinking a looser converter may be an improvement.

I haven't had my car at the track since I installed the 49 or alky. I got 12.7- 12.8's with the stock turbo on 100 octane @20lbs, 1.8 60's

cause I got through ac 16920 just not sure if I should put it in.

I would be looking at a higher stall with the 49. My friend with a TA60 saw a real nice improvement going from a 2800 to 3200 stall billet 9/11.

A 9, 9.5 or 10 inch should be lighter than the stock 12 inch D5. Less rotating weight. Less energy required to spool it up, I would think.

Torque converter stall isnt just for spooling up. You need the flash stall to match your rpm range. If you have a 3200 stall that flashes to 5000 rpm with a stock engine, you will be slower at the track. And in my experience the 3200 stall 10" lock up converters are too loose under power, and are sloppy around town. My 9.5 PTCs, both 18 and 20 blade, which stall 3800 to 4000 0 boost drive better than a 10" 3200, they dont have that loose converter feel.

cause I got through ac 16920 just not sure if I should put it in.

The AC 16930 with the 6262 JB is very tight...and drives like a stocker around town. I don't like a convertor that feels 'sloppy' around town. The convertor couples fairly well at the traps as the MPH in my sig will verify. The issue, is that you really have to tune low gear fuel/timing to get it to launch at the track. If you're on a tight budget, then I'd say give it a whirl. If not, then sell it off and throw the difference in and get Dusty to spec you a race convertor. I bracket race the car spring to fall generally around 7 flat a 100. With a pair of good heads you should be able to mimic what I do easily. Stock junk is incredibly durable, as long as you stay out of KR.

I have the AC-16920 can't find info on it as far as stall.got it with some other parts.anyone know this converter

Torque converter stall isnt just for spooling up. You need the flash stall to match your rpm range. If you have a 3200 stall that flashes to 5000 rpm with a stock engine, you will be slower at the track. And in my experience the 3200 stall 10" lock up converters are too loose under power, and are sloppy around town. My 9.5 PTCs, both 18 and 20 blade, which stall 3800 to 4000 0 boost drive better than a 10" 3200, they dont have that loose converter feel.
Rob which 10 inch are you talking about?i was referring to the pro torque 10.5 which drove really nice and built to handle wot lockups (Kevlar clutch).it was worth 4mph on a 10sec combo.