Converter ?

josh young

What RPM's do most of you guys with 2800 stalls, stall at on footbrake. I don't really know much about converters but I've always heard that advertised stall was on transbrake not footbrake. I was under the assumption mine had a D5 in it, but is stalls around 25-2600 on footbrake. Does this seem right? Could it be a restalled D5. It has a te6031 turbo on it. I read about cars with terrible lag with the stock converter, It just don't seem as bad as what everyone else complains of. I guess I need to get it on the lift, pull the cover and see. Inputs, and comments appriciated!

A d5 that stalls that high will not couple very well but it will spool any turbo like yours with a stage 3 turbine really fast. Typically a d5 can go to about 2200@0 before it struggles to couple the power with an engine that has high cylinder pressure and low rpm potential. Why dont you remove the inspection cover and take a look?

Thanks Bison, next time I have it on a lift at the shop I'll look. I think it may be a restalled D5, but thats just a guess.

I forgot about this thread. I checked, and the car does indeed have a restalled D5. It stalls about 2250-2300 at 0-1 #. I'm running it on race gas now, with a TT 110 chip, it rips out of the hole now.:)

I forgot about this thread. I checked, and the car does indeed have a restalled D5. It stalls about 2250-2300 at 0-1 #. I'm running it on race gas now, with a TT 110 chip, it rips out of the hole now.:)

That's normal for a restalled D5 at 0-1# of boost. If it would have went 2600 or more the fins would be laid further over to raise stall but efficiency drops off quickly.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Dusty, how much do you think I'm leaving on the table running this vs something like one of your 2800 10'' converters?

Dusty, how much do you think I'm leaving on the table running this vs something like one of your 2800 10'' converters?

I've had a re-stalled D5, it stalled around 2,400, I've had a PATS 10 inch it stalled around 3,000 I am now using Dusty's 10 inch lock-up, it stalls between 2,800 and 2,900 of the three converters I've had I like Dusty's the best, but both the PATS and the PTC were way better than the re-stalled D5 for over all drive-ability. What other mods do you have.

It of course has the TE 60 turbo. Then it has:
3'' DP
Gutted cat
3'' exhaust
BGC stretched IC
tt 5.7 chip
new 60# injectors
new 340 pump, hotwire kit, AFPR, and volt booster
heated 02
built 200
little stuff like: valve springs, hard pipes, valve cover breathers, 160* stat, K&N cone, tie down, magnecor wires, newer plugs, and coil packs, plate, etc. etc.
It runs clean, 0.0 knock nearly all the time. I think it's basically where I want it, maybe with the exception of a converter. Thanks!

Like Jim said. There is a noticeable difference in spool up and launch from a 12" to a 10". The 12" may run a little more mph due to the low stall speed but the et is better with a higher stall.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app