You can type here any text you want

Convertor slippage?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

rb68rr

Is there a formula for figuring convertor slippage? Thanks, R.B. Also, does the convertor have to be locked?

TCI - TECHNICAL INFORMATION: Racing Calculators Fill in the blanks. This calculator doesnt add tire growth into calculation. You have to estimate that. If the converter is locked there should be less than 1% slip. A lot of lockup converters wont completely lock at WOT under high boost.

Whoa! I just filled in my info and it says my slip is 33%

Is my converter trashed or what?

Haven't you replaced that trashy converter yet?:eek: Your previous thread & video indicated you're making lotsa rpms--but going nowhere fast.:confused:

It depends on whether it's a lock-up or not. A lock-up converter is going to slip a lot more until you lock it. A non-LU is more efficient across the board but as a result does not slip as much down low to aid in spooling.

You also need to correct for 28" tall tires if you are using them, assuming you're using your VSS signal for the MPH in the formula. Your VSS will be incorrectly reporting MPH because the speedo gear in the trans is geared for a 26" tall tire.

Jim

I just got off of the phone with Precision Industries. They said that on the t-brake I should be able to mash the pedal all the way down and the converter should stall at 32-3500 and not 5200 rpm. They say it sounds like the fins are laid over and causing it to stall very high. And when I set the brake it revs way up to 5000+ at around 1/2 throttle.

I'm sending it back and having it repaired and upgrading to a 5-disk clutch. That way I can lock it at WOT.

Hopefully this is where all my power is being absorbed and I can start having some fun with this car.

Less than 3% with a non lockup here... I think that is pretty good.

Less than 3% with a non lockup here... I think that is pretty good.

That sounds like a winner....I mean look at your car when it leaves. ALL the power is getting to the wheels. I seen you twist that driveshaft at BG, :biggrin:
I have a lockup and I'm seeing 33% and that is not good at all.

Just ran my ratty old 7 disc vigillante through the calculator:

.3% locked

6% unlocked

Sorry, went back and looked at my logs. It wasn't 6% unlocked, it was 3.6%. :o

Sorry, went back and looked at my logs. It wasn't 6% unlocked, it was 3.6%. :o

I'm getting 25% locked with a 5-disc @ 5100 RPM. Trans and converter are at CK Performance right now trying to get it sorted it out, actually.

Jim

Mine is a stock d-5. No, I'm not locking it. Thought I read somewhere that it will lock automatically at wot in 3rd gear. Is this true?

Mine is a stock d-5. No, I'm not locking it. Thought I read somewhere that it will lock automatically at wot in 3rd gear. Is this true?

No, not at WOT, unless your aftermarket chip has it programmed to do so (very few can do this).

So is the 9% slippage bad? Do I need to be looking for a new convertor?

wow thanks for posting this info. i will have to test mine as soon as i get to the track. thanks

Back