Copper coat vs hylomar

mojilla

Which would be preferred sealent with cometic head gasket copper coat spray or hylomar?
Thanks

Both will work fine. Hylomar might be better, though. I've never used it on Cometics myself, though. Hylomar is gooey stuff that never dries. They claim it'll seal up to .010" gap. Developed by the Brits. And we all know how British engines leak. They NEEDED to come up with something. The only reason the Brits never made televisions is because they couldn't figure out to make them leak oil. They are also well known for thier elctronics capabilities. On old Jag's if you turn the head lights on during the day......it would go dark outside.;)

Lucas Electronics= The Lord of Darkness

I've heard it said that if a dog pees next to an old British car, It won't start!!!

I have used the Permatex copper spray and Hylomar spray. I prefer Hylomar. The Hylomar is hard to find and expensive. I recently bought some from Competition Products and used it today on cometic gaskets.

Hylomar for me. As mentioned, gettting harder and harder to find. I do top, bottom and between layers.

Agreed, I drill out the rivets, wash the individual layers in soap and water then spray one coat between each layer. There seems to be a greasy film on the black layer of the gaskets as they come from Cometic. I want to be sure the Hylomar adheres so I wash them up before spraying.

Agreed, I drill out the rivets, wash the individual layers in soap and water then spray one coat between each layer. There seems to be a greasy film on the black layer of the gaskets as they come from Cometic. I want to be sure the Hylomar adheres so I wash them up before spraying.

X2! HYLOMAR Racing Formula Blue! (Spray can!)
You need one can for a complete job.

FWIW: I wash each layer of the gaskets with brake cleaner, and let them air dry.
This trick was thought to me by TurboFabricator! :cool:

Thank you for the replies. Going to try hylomar. What do you guys use for sealant on the head bolts?

X2! HYLOMAR Racing Formula Blue! (Spray can!)
You need one can for a complete job.

FWIW: I wash each layer of the gaskets with brake cleaner, and let them air dry.
This trick was thought to me by TurboFabricator! :cool:

I tried the brake cleaner trick in the past and if I remember correctly, the black coating came off! I thought TurboDAve231's soap and water sounded like a plan.

I avoid the brake cleaner for that very reason. I want to protect the gasket coating from the harsh chemicals. Dish soap and hot water in the laundry tray takes the greasy film right off.

Be careful of the edges of the gaskets.....They are sharp!!! I sliced my finger wide open......That delayed me for a while to get the bleeding to stop:eek:

I avoid the brake cleaner for that very reason. I want to protect the gasket coating from the harsh chemicals. Dish soap and hot water in the laundry tray takes the greasy film right off. .......

You guys are correct. ;)
The brake cleaner will take of most anything, including the coating . . . . "if" you rub/scrub the gaskets down.
I just "fog" the gaskets and did not see anything. :confused:

When I re-used the gaskets, the brake clean did remove the coating from scrubbing . . . but the HYLOMAR took care of those areas. LOL

Competition Products sells Hylomar in aerosol, brush on and the tube. $25.00 a can plus the ride.

BTW . . . .
I just found an old pic of the MLS Cometics straight out of the sealed package . . . .to share.
Nothing new, but . . . . this is why you need to wash/clean/rinse them. :eek:

Attachments

• Cometics MLS Dirt.jpg
    Cometics MLS Dirt.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 380