You can type here any text you want

Copper head Gasket

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

fmster

HI to all ! Is anybody using the shim copper head gasket? Are they any good?

HI to all ! Is anybody using the shim copper head gasket? Are they any good?

Dont waste your time with the coppers, they will go oval on you the 1st time you lift the headgasket, buy the cometics and be done with it..

I am currently trying a set of SCE Titans

I would like to know anyones experience with these good or bad before I drop it in the car.

I have used stockers and cometics before and so far have had good luck with those. I tried these due to having a set of big valve ported irons with orings in them.

I am currently trying a set of SCE Titans

I would like to know anyones experience with these good or bad before I drop it in the car.

I have used stockers and cometics before and so far have had good luck with those. I tried these due to having a set of big valve ported irons with orings in them.

Read above, a friend and I both had the same experienced with the SCE titans, as soon as we lifted the heads and its just a matter of time when you do, the gaskets will go oval shape on you and start to leak, buy cometics make sure the heads and block have the right finish to accomodate the gaskets, take off the rivets from both ends of the gaskets, spray them with copper spray and install, torque to 85 pounds and be done with it.. ;)

I've been running the sce's for 5 years. 30+ psi with a random pop and bang every now and then and have never blew a hg. That's mid 9 sec passes on a 109 with gn1's and head studs. I'd run what you got.

I have used them. Didn't have any problems. Didn't oval or lift the head lol! Used Cometics prepped by Russ Merrit without all those disassembly steps. No problems with that either. Felpros 9441pt work well too.

I have had coppers sce and had problems and have had problems with rjc guess time to try cometics.

SCE, here you can buy the head gaskets with a steel ring inside the cooper gasket if your lifting the head and going oval.

Did you get what Dan is saying bud its the surface of the block and the heads to seal and you may be running abit lean or something to that nature.and getting major detination i,ve used cometic had no problems o ringed block and receiver groove in the head i use cooper, but on everything else i use cometic as far a fresh block surfaced and cylinder heads.NOT on old surface,s. hope this helps ya.

Another thing with the HG failures of all sorts is to make sure when using STUDs that your threads are chased/clened/etc and studs ran all the way down (especially the case on the short ones) as you could be torquing the nuts down on the shoulder of the stud vs the head if the shorter studs arent installed all the way/because of dirty threads etc.

Some use a extra washer on the shorter stud to help/make sure it doesnt happen.

I know of 3 different people that have recently had to replaced RJC, felpros, etc due to this. Wasnt the gaskets fault or machined surface fasner simply wasnt doing its job.

Another thing with the HG failures of all sorts is to make sure when using STUDs that your threads are chased/clened/etc and studs ran all the way down (especially the case on the short ones) as you could be torquing the nuts down on the shoulder of the stud vs the head if the shorter studs arent installed all the way/because of dirty threads etc.

Some use a extra washer on the shorter stud to help/make sure it doesnt happen.

I know of 3 different people that have recently had to replaced RJC, felpros, etc due to this. Wasnt the gaskets fault or machined surface fasner simply wasnt doing its job.

WELL HATE TO SAY THIS BUT I DID SOMETHING WRONG STARTING OUT THIS IS WHAT I GET BY LISTENING TO SOMEONE ELSE ON HOW TO DO. I USED ANTISEEZE ON MY STUDS,NEVER USED THE GLUE RJC SUPPLIES, JUST COPPER SPRAY AND DID NOT RETORQUE MY HEADS AND ALKY PUMP WENT SOUTH.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

WELL HATE TO SAY THIS BUT I DID SOMETHING WRONG STARTING OUT THIS IS WHAT I GET BY LISTENING TO SOMEONE ELSE ON HOW TO DO. I USED ANTISEEZE ON MY STUDS,NEVER USED THE GLUE RJC SUPPLIES, JUST COPPER SPRAY AND DID NOT RETORQUE MY HEADS AND ALKY PUMP WENT SOUTH.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

It takes a real man to admit he made a mistake. As long as you learned something it's all good :biggrin: get that thing running we need to go for a run!!:biggrin:

Back