You can type here any text you want

COPPER SEALANT ON THE DOWN PIPE TO TEST PIPE CONNECTION??

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

JAMCAR223

Since the "search" function has not worked for (4) days, I need to ask....I just removed my old exhaust and the down pipe to test pipe was a metal to metal connection. Upon installing my new exhaust, should I use a bead of the copper sealant?? OR just reinstall metal to metal?? Thanks!

I used the sealant. But I belt sanded my new RJC flange to fit perfectly flat after welding it. Took about 10 times to get it that way. I would try sliding a feeler gage around the whole housing.

Excellent advise. Thank you! I have cleaned the flanges with a wire wheel. The connection was leak free, but I will check with a feeler gauge, and use the copper sealant.

Use a bunch of antisieze. That is what I use to seal the downpipe to the turbo exhaust housing. Seals good and you can take it apart later.

Post pic of what you're trying to seal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am going to use a stepped band clamp with some ultra copper to seal the down pipe to test pipe on the next go around.
If you're using a conventional muffler clamp, slitting the test pipe in 2 or 4 places helps get enough compression to hold everything tight without deforming the pipes plus adding some ultra copper seems to help.

Post pic of what you're trying to seal

IMG_6476.JPG

This flange bolts to my down pipe. It was a metal to metal connection when I took it apart. I was kid of expecting a high temp gasket, like a cat converter would use. It did not leak, and I want to be sure it continues to not leak.

Mill it flat and use rtv.

Back