You can type here any text you want

Corona CA Buick GN encounter

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
This is sort of an ironic story because I am the proud owner of a 89 Turbo Trans Am.

Story. While polishing up my Gold 1970 Firebird 400 for Sat morning car show...I decided to cruise around (get gas) as an excuse to charge up the battery of the car. On the way to the gas station on 6th street in Corona....I come up stopped traffic waiting for a train to pass. From the distance (poor street lighting) I thought it was a Mustang GT...but as I approached in the left open lane....low and behold it's a 85-86 Buick GN!!! I staired over at the gentleman to get his attention...but he was like looking serious straight ahead. When the track crossing went up...I proceeded to roll over the train track when I hear the demonic spooling and then a black "Beast" jets by me. I was very dissapointed I didn't make a run with the 400 but the 70 Firebird sits low and would have probably bottomed out going over the high tracks. At the next light...I tried to get the gentleman to roll down his window to tell him I am one of the Turbo Gurus...and how cool I thought his car was...but he kept rolling by :confused:

Corona GN guy..if your out there..it would be cool to correspond.

David

Thanks
It's funny how "we" influence people. I ran into a guy at the local car show that was saying that the TTAs were great in perf...but GNs seem to be the hot ticket...now after taking my TTA to the show (seeing the guy check it out thoroughly a week ago)...now he wants to buy a YOU KNOW WHAT :D

Took my 70 Firebird out again (need to charge the battery...right...that's what I tell the wife ;) The TTA will take it out...but I am impressed by the torque the engine creates. If I nail the throttle on the 400...the car will literaly stand still and set the tires up in smoke. Today I nailed the throttle on a 30 mph roll and the tires broke loose big time and then chirped (lurched) again when it hit 3rd. Not bad for a heavy car with 380lbs of torque. I haven't taken the Bird to the track...but was noticing 0-60 timed at 6.3 sec.

keep up the old school

because they look cool,they are easy to work on, lots of torque, and if it's not finicky, all it needs is a run for fresh fuel and to charge the battery.Keep on having fun.later

Nice cars.. how did you get 200K out of that IROC-Z? My Camaro lasted until about 130K then started having some problems.

I think most GN owners (like me) aren't too social is because of the jackasses that ask questions like is that a Monte? or what kind of V8 is that? or you wanna run? Most of the time people just ask me what year it is, then get a puzzled look on their face when read Grand National on the side. They're probably looking for the SS badges.

I'm more social at car shows than on the road. At least there, most people know what they're looking at.

The IROC-Z has lasted due to my 3,000 mile oil changes with Castrol GTX 10w-30 and using a Fram PH30 Oil Filter. It IS almost unbelievable considering that I do not have to add any oil between oil changes. The car is my daily driver on the herrendous stop/go traffic on the "infamous" Cal 91 fwy...the closest roadway to "hell on earth" :)

I am also suprised that the original 700R-4 is still functioning almost perfectly. My universal joints which are orginal...are the only componant that is showing wear...slight "clunk" when shifted into drive. I am hoping that with consistent maintenance on the TTA....(Castrol FUll Synthetic) every 2500 miles...that car will also love me as well as the IROC has :)

I think the elder gentleman in the GN was just having some fun...I didn't rev or anything like that to give him the idea I was going to run on him. In fact with the "low rider" height of the 70 F-body...I probably would have left my oil pan on the train tracks :eek: He took the tracks a little hard also...

Back