Cracked ATR header

GNRick

Retired member
Driver side header is cracked where the runners merge. Can a muffler shop weld it shut without removing it from the car?

i wouldn't try it…. they would probably just put a big glob of crap on top of the crack…. and who knows how far the crack runs.
At least its the drivers side header… easy enough to take off and fix it right.

aaron

I was hoping some one would say try it and if it doesn't work then take it off and do it right.

Thats the last thing you want to do. It will make it 10 times harder for the guy who has to fix it right.

i don't know it's your car… i barely trust guys to do a safety inspection…. and then to let someone weld in an area already tight with an expensive PowerMaster…. countless wires and connectors and then all the numerous other things that he can accidentally break, melt or catch on fire…..

Just My Opinion though

aaron

If the headers are stainless they will need to be back purged with argon before welding.

Tough crowd tonight. Yes I think they are stainless. Didn't know about the argon. Is that SOP or do I need to take it to a high end specialty shop?

Tough crowd tonight. Yes I think they are stainless. Didn't know about the argon. Is that SOP or do I need to take it to a high end specialty shop?

Any good welding shop will know how to back purge stainless. The outside will probably look fine but the inside of the header will have sugaring if it's not purged with argon while welding.

This is a photo to give you an idea of what sugaring looks like.
weld%20crystalizing.jpg

Ok I don't want to sound like a pita but is sugaring really bad for a 340 HP GN? Can some of that slag break off and find its way to the turbo? As you guys can tell I REALLY don't want to remove the header if I don't need to. Spent all day today practically removing the turbo (like 3 times) to replace the copper gasket, then to align the downpipe, remove rounded out nuts holding the turbo to the header, etc. Could JB Weld hold up? I have a smoke machine which is how I found the crack.

JB Weld will work for a minute or so. It's gotta be removed to be fixed right. Or, find a replacement.
Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

If you were to make a list of pros and cons of trying to weld it with it on you would end up with nothing on the pro side. As mentioned, be glad its the the driver side...could have been the other side..If you're frustrated with the car (we've all been there) walk away from it for a while then get back to it when your frustration subsides and do it right.

Last edited:
instead of jb weld I would use a high temp exterior calk from menards. Or do what ur good buddy suggested. Buy a set of headers and be done with it. I can call RC if u need me too:kiss:

My KB driver side header cracked like that after having them on for 6 years. Took it off and had the local muffler shop weld it for me and has been good to go for 13 years.

The driver side header takes nothing to remove a piece of cake. 6 mounting bolts to the head and 1 band clamp to the cross over pipe,done.

Well it took awhile but I got the header off. Got it welded and reinstalled it with a new Felpro gasket. Also replaced the valve cover gasket and changed the oil. Smoked the exhaust again and now find the passenger side header gasket is leaking. Engine sounds much smoother now. Always something.

Felpro gasket. That will be your next leak after the exhaust pressure blows it out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk