You can type here any text you want

Crank sensor..

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Chuck Leeper

Toxic old bastard
Staff member
Is it common for the crank sensor to cause an engine start up go to backfire thru the intake??
Still having backfire issues.
Cam sensor set, backfire. Reset the sensor 180*, same results.
Had ft cover off, found cam advanced, corrected it. Same issue.
New coil/mod, wires, plugs, injs, chip, inj harness, valve springs, etc, etc.
Grounds verified, fuel psi set, tps set, yadda, yadda.
This is getting old! even OLDER than I am....:mad:

Chuck I wouldn't think so. Do you have a spare to try? Did you check cam sensor cap?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Chuck I wouldn't think so. Do you have a spare to try? Did you check cam sensor cap?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Chris, the engine ran before I took it out for a cleaning/reseal job. {Not well, due to nasty w/g, intake hose ripped, bad coil/module, etc.}
I haven't checked the cap, persay. It looks new in and out, wires/plugs are clean, no bent pins, drive tang good, rotor tite, etc.
It sets when I use the cam set box.
I re-checked the crank sensor gap.. Good @ .025".

I'm out of ideas, except the chip may have taken a "core dump" Not sure that would cause this, either. I did pull it, check it for pins out of whack, nada.

Don't know what else to "re-check", other than pull the ft cover....:mad:
I have a new gasket set on hand, for just such an "event"...:rolleyes:

Thanks for the help...:D

You didn't cross any plug wires ??

What about the wiring of the coil to module , all wires in the right order ?

It's off the car, now. Am going to check that next. I hope not, as that stupid mistake, and chasing it everywhere else, will REALLY piss me off!!:eek::D

Pulled the coil off the module, looked for the wiring in the shop manual..No luck.
The 4/2/6 tabs have the 3 blu wires on them.
The 1 has green, the 5 has yello, the 3 has another single blu wire on it.
I did a search, to locate the wire swap test, and came up empty. As usual, I misplaced what I had written when I tested the old coil/module w/ the casper tester...
NE 1 remember what the yelo, green, single blu is supposed to go to? [I think the single blu should have a stripe?}
I may have it fubar'd.. Everything else I've done is.:arghh:
Crossing the green and yelo would cause a misfire, right??:eek: IF so, I'm going to hit myself in the ballz! My head is too empty to hurt!

Try this on the colors

Attachments

• 1446846563695.jpg
    1446846563695.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 111
Try this on the colors
DAMN!! If that pic is labelled correctly, I have 1 and 5 crossed! NO WONDER it backfires!!
Firing a cyl on an open intake is a sure "fire" way to make a mess!
All this work, ft cover off twice, cam sensor in and out til it's worn thin. All because I didn't dbl check EVERYTHING I had changed..
A lesson for you new guys, working on these antiques!

Thanks everyone,(y) for the suggestions, and for the help!
Now, all I lack, is finishing up!.. :rolleyes:This is embarrassing.. Too may yrs away, and working on the LS stuff. That, and being older than dirt, doesn't help!:facepalm:

You didn't cross any plug wires ??
Nope. I've checked that at least 5 times...Still looking.

Looks like it was a bit farther upstream ! :p Glad you found it . Sam

Chuck you messed up by not crossing the plug wires. Crossing the plug wires would have created a double negative.....and fixed the problem.:D

Chuck you messed up by not crossing the plug wires. Crossing the plug wires would have created a double negative.....and fixed the problem.:D
I never thot of that!! Of course, I never thot of crossed wires, either!:D
Bout ready to turn the key....
I'm wondering, if I crossed ALL the wires, would the engine run backwards??:bucktooth:

A follow up:
Put the car back together, changed the coil wires around, hit the key. WALA! It runs. :smug:Ran for a few secs, and shut it down to look for leaks, etc.
Installed the new S&B air cleaner. That's 1 NICE piece! $39, plus the ride. Quality is far and away better than the others......:cool: Nice folks to talk to.
Now, on to adjusting the Pypes system, adding a couple hangers. Then, IT'S HAMMER TIME!
The rear tires have entirely too much tread on them.:smuggrin:

Thanks all, for the help

I never thot of that!! Of course, I never thot of crossed wires, either!:D
Bout ready to turn the key....
I'm wondering, if I crossed ALL the wires, would the engine run backwards??:bucktooth:

That must be how they got this scene to work!!
Chuck_zpstpousind.jpg

Last edited:
A follow up:
Put the car back together, changed the coil wires around, hit the key. WALA! It runs. :smug:Ran for a few secs, and shut it down to look for leaks, etc.
Installed the new S&B air cleaner. That's 1 NICE piece! $39, plus the ride. Quality is far and away better than the others......:cool: Nice folks to talk to.
Now, on to adjusting the Pypes system, adding a couple hangers. Then, IT'S HAMMER TIME!
The rear tires have entirely too much tread on them.:smuggrin:

Thanks all, for the help

Glad to hear you are running and not pooting and popping , glad to help out cause I was fixing to make 3hr road trip to come and help you to get it going . Maybe next time Grin !!!!!

Back