Crank Windows on GN

nickygn23

I pride myself for being semi knowledgeable on Turbo Buicks or at least in my mind anyway. A friend of mine asked me if they ever made a National with crank windows? I was at a loss... I wasn't sure , I was under the impression the Grand National package was just that ... a package . Maybe they did. If the did how rare are they?
Thanks

Attachments

• 20131231_133528.jpg
    20131231_133528.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 172
My 87 has crank windows, power seats, concert sound, and a fixed antenna. Strange set of options to me. Oh yea, and manual door locks.

The first 10,000 or so could have weird options, but the 2nd 10,000 or so were loaded with power options. GM forced it upon the WE2 (GN)

That was the only way they agreed to double the production.

Originally the WE2 code meant black out, LC2, A/C & the special interior scheme. Power options were just that, options.

I think they are rare but who knows...my car was ordered as an option delete car in August of 87 and has crank windows, manual locks, manual seat, fixed attenae, no cruise control. It does have rear window defog.

A friend of mine had a low option GN with crank windows. Also had aluminum drums and bumper reinforcements.

My 86 has manual windows, no power lock or antenna, power seat and cf5 roof. Someone replaced my upper door trim panels with power window ones. So now I have a square where the crank comes through. The panels are perfect just the wrong ones . It makes it look kind of funny!

I think I have seen one in all the years of GN ownership but as everyone has said there are a few out there. My 86 GN with T-Tops is loaded.

When I ordered my 86 GN , I just went down the list of options and checked off what I wanted , and yes power windows , locks , and everything else was a choice , it was quite a list to choose from .

As it has been stated crank windows could be had in a GN in any given year. Its also safe to assume that feature is quite rare in a GN as most owners picked that option. Had they known beforehand how slow and sluggish GM power windows were in a g body format they probably would not have picked that option. A rarer non option would be a GN with no tilt. Tilt option was very cheap. Of the 300 plus 1986-1987 Turbo Regals that passed thru my hands I had just a few GNs that had crank windows and even fewer with no tilt. Power windows is probably rarer in a turbo -t Limited since the limited was a plush model...its unfortunate GM did not keep numbers like they do with Corvettes where in the Corvette facts book you can virtually see the count of every option for every year Corvette against total production.

Ironically years ago before the values skyrocketed (1970-71) my wife and I had a 1963 Corvette sting ray coupe....today that year is quite valuable. If you are familiar with that vintage vette they had a vertical radio. Our car was never ever cut out for a factory radio. According to the Vette facts book they show 11,368 got the am radio and 9,178 got the am/fm radio. They made 21,153 total 63 Vettes...when you do the math shows 507 never got any radio....such as our car....(I never cut the dash for a radio but mounted one under the passenger seat.). Vette was a 4 speed 327........(later was stolen and recovered) ....no insurance....

end of story

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Crank windows are rare on any TR but I'd assume more T's than GNs have them. My T was a low but oddly optioned car also. Crank windows, manual seats and locks, fixed antenna, 2spd non-delay wipers, aluminum drums, aluminum bumper supports. However, it has cruise control, tilt wheel, concert sound, rear defrost, posi, and T-tops. It was next to Dennis's low option T at his open house.
Scarlett 3.JPG DSC02992.JPG

You aluminum drum guys, no g80 right?
My T is pretty stripped down. Manual windows, locks seats, does have rear defrost and remote pass mirror. And a g80 and iron drums.
Stickered for $16661

I saw a gn at the dealer I bought mine that had a gn with manual windows. I would have bought it but it sold before I got my act together.

Crank windows are rare on any TR but I'd assume more T's than GNs have them. My T was a low but oddly optioned car also. Crank windows, manual seats and locks, fixed antenna, 2spd non-delay wipers, aluminum drums, aluminum bumper supports. However, it has cruise control, tilt wheel, concert sound, rear defrost, posi, and T-tops. It was next to Dennis's low option T at his open house.
View attachment 244426 View attachment 244427

I worked in the department at Delco Products that made the wiper motors for the G-bodies and most of them were intermittent (delay ) motors . The 2 speeds were not as popular .

I worked in the department at Delco Products that made the wiper motors for the G-bodies and most of them were intermittent (delay ) motors . The 2 speeds were not as popular .
I didn't know the motors were different. Would rather have had delay wipers vs cruise control. Last year I was having a turn signal issue and thought the stalk was part of the switch. Called Dennis and he said no one makes a replacement motor or stalk. Only two stalks made are delay with or without cruise. Believe he said besides his white car and mine, he hasn't seen another without delay wipers for some time.

I believe the delay feature is all in the cover , same motor and housing but different cover . All of the A , F , G body wiper motors were the same except for the crank arm & part number !! One time we sent A body wipers motors to the F car plant and they installed them . It was discovered when they turned them on to test and they over swept the glass because of a slightly longer A body crank arm ! It's been 28 years and I'm getting old !!!

Last edited: