You can type here any text you want

Critique my head port work

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Oh sh!t I'm the hold up I didn't realize. :confused:
Okay well Charlie i have to yank the heads off of that 3.8 then. strip them, pack em, and ship em, Then I'll know all that Info (moneys, weights, packing methods and can pass it along to all whom are concerned. :D

Move it already:mad:

:biggrin:

Got all the burr work on both heads. Your looking at about 20 hours worth of work. Going to finish blending with the 40 and 80 grit sanding rolls and then off to the machine shop for the 3 angle valve job.

Picture001.jpg

Picture002.jpg

Picture003.jpg

Picture004.jpg

Picture005.jpg

Picture006.jpg

Picture007.jpg

Picture008.jpg

That looks good Doug. Are you planning to have the guides replaced at the same time?

If the shop tells you to knurl them get some brass guides put in. It will last longer if you do them now instead of having to pull them later on.

If the guides are worn they will offer you knurling or replacement. Knurling uses a kind of screw looking tool that is run down the guides and it brings the metal out some. Then they run another tool (broach) through them to compress them back down. This is an inexpensive way to bring a guide back to spec but it dowsn't last as long as replacing the guides.

Finally, the heads are ready for the machine shop.

A solid 5 more hours on these, bringing the total time approx 25 hrs.

Here are some shots of the ports and bowls blended at 40 grit:

IMG_6865.jpg

IMG_6871.jpg

IMG_6872.jpg

IMG_6869.jpg

IMG_6870.jpg

IMG_6873.jpg

I polished up the exhaust bowls and ports, just to keep carbine buildup to a minimum:

IMG_6877.jpg

IMG_6880.jpg

Removed all the cast flashing from the chambers, along with de-shrouding the exhaust valves:

IMG_6881.jpg

IMG_6883.jpg

looks real good!!!!!! :biggrin: are you going to start doing this for some coin?:biggrin::biggrin:

Here are some shots from the machine shop. I want to thank Steve Keech (screen name Thessman) of SS Motorsports for the hospitality and the great work done. I learned alot about machining heads and actually got to use some of the equipment myself.

Started cutting the valve seats:

IMG_7140.jpg

IMG_7138.jpg

All seats are cut. Started blending the 60 degree edge back into the bowl.

IMG_7146.jpg

Ready to be milled:
IMG_7142.jpg

Took 3-4 thousands to get a true surface:
IMG_7145.jpg

Assembled:
IMG_7147.jpg

Shot of the exhaust valve in the seat. The exhaust valve was also back cut for better flow.
IMG_7155.jpg

Same shot of the intake valve in the seat. Went with 1.77 stainless instead of the 1.71 stock size.
IMG_7156.jpg

IMG_7158.jpg

A quick video of the head being milled:
YouTube - Turbo Buick heads being milled

Ready to go back on the motor this week.

Back