Cross-drilled, Slotted Rotor ?'s

CombatComProg

Who makes good, affordable cross-drilled slotted rotors for turbo buicks? Are their any negative effects of installing these? I've heard they are dangerous in the rain -is that true?

I dont know about how exepesive but I thought BAER had a stock replacement rotor that is Cross drilled and slotted.... I have never heard anything about Slotted/Cross drilled rotors being bad in the rain... if anything I would think it would allow the water / steam to escape mor quickly and give you better braking/contact between pads and rotors.

There is no real need to go with cross drilled rotors other than the bling effect. Spend your money elsewhere on something more useful. :)

In other words, all of the cars that I have raced and raced against, no one has cross drilled rotors. :wink:

Just looking for the bling effect really. If I'm going to replace them anyway, I don't mind throwing out a few extra bucks.

The cross-drilled/slotted rotors REALLY do help braking! I installed them on my car with ceramic pads and could feel the difference. It just isn't for bling. I actually think that they helped me to avoid an accident. Someone swerved in front of me and I had to mash the brake pedal all the way down. They stopped my car before collision with the guy in front of me. I dont think that my factory set up would have stopped the car as quick.

The Baer one cost a fortune. Try Pepboy's, Advance auto, etc. I forgot where I bought mine....but I bought from one of the big chains that I just mentioned and they were around $90 each. I would also recommend buying the best pads that go with the new rotors. I went for the ceramic and like them.

i just recived my crossdrilled and sloted rotors friday less than 100.00 to my door off ebay they look sweet.

race_angel

Be careful these days. I bought a set of drilled Baer's 4 years for my 86 GN. They performed flawlessly as I'm very hard on brakes. That was then.

These days, the bling has caught on more than attention to the real reason why rotors are drilled and slotted. Pad technology has improved leaps and bounds. Take a look at road race teams and you'll realize that drilled is no longer the preferred choice. I understand that we're talking street vs. all out race here. Drilling a rotor requires the extra step of making sure cracking is induced in the process or during use. Other than a Baer, Coleman, Performance Friction, Alcon or an AP Racing (Brembo) rotor - I wouldn't put my trust in anything else.

Since you have some extra pocket money to throw at your car, the brakes are an excellent candidate for that donation.

My testament to a good rotor is if it survives my 72 mile drive to work through all four seasons - in my car with my driving style.

GM Performance rotors

GM Performance has a set of cross drilled rotors. Stock size direct bolt on and there not very expensive around 100.00 for a pair give or take alittle. Can be bought at your local dealer. I have them on my car and they work fine.

ANDYS87 said:
The cross-drilled/slotted rotors REALLY do help braking! I installed them on my car with ceramic pads and could feel the difference..

How much was the rotors?, and how much the pads?.
Doing a comparison with 2 variables, makes it difficult, at least to me, to tell which did what.

Racer X said:
There is no real need to go with cross drilled rotors other than the bling effect. Spend your money elsewhere on something more useful.
In other words, all of the cars that I have raced and raced against, no one has cross drilled rotors.

You're results mirror mine.
At one time, I spent alot of time laying out, and drilling rotors, various ways. While the wet braking, on a second stop was slightly better, all I generated were alot of cracked rotors. I've seen a fair number of brakes that when used in a serious manner start to crack from the holes.

Exactly Bruce.

<mindless jibberish to follow>

About three years ago (maybe longer?) we were at Laguna Seca and there were some guys that had some cross drilled rotors and every single one of them, not only cracked, but broke into pieces. So then the trend moved to slotted, but not drilled (for the purpose of getting the gases out from under the pads) and there was no significant change in braking power over long runs.

I can not think of anyone using drilled or slotted rotors anymore. It seems the new fad is to cryogenically treat the rotors to keep them cooler. This seems to work and the surface temps on the rotors are dropping by a couple of hundred degrees.

</end of mindless jibberish>

There will be no detremental effects to using them for a street application. :)

Good luck! :) :cool:

No Bbbbbling............ No Cracks..... :p

42095749-440c-02000180-.jpg

This is what I have on the Mustang - 14.5" drilled rotor which has been bedded.

Attachments

• IMG_0155 - Red.JPG
    IMG_0155 - Red.JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 182
Bruce,

I think the rotors were around $90/each and the pads were around $60.00 for the front set. I didn't touch the back brakes. All I know is that the car stops better and just feels better than the factory setup. You can feel the brakes bite. Also, I've had them on for about a year and a half, and no cracks. Very little wear, and less dust(from the ceramic pads).

Tony,

I'd say thats a good deal. I didn't know that BAER's were so reasonable. Although they are probably their cheaper line, they are probably still good. I would buy them! Just buy the best pads that the store sells for them.

Yeah they are the cheaper line, still have to be better then the brakes that are on the car so I guess I cant lose with the deal.