Cryogenics and Motorsports

Dr. Freeze

I recieved quite a few email after my post regarding cryogenic processing of TB crankshafts in the topic; "What material are TR cranks made of." Every email wanted to know more about the process so instead of answering dozens of emails seperately about it I though I would post an article I wrote on the process that will be published in "Fastest Street Car" magazine in the near future...

I want to emphasize that though I own a cryogenic processing business that specializes in motorsports components; this is NOT a solicitation for my business but an informational article aimed at answering questions regarding the process. Thanks.
-Jeb

Cryogenics and Motorsports:
Improving Racing Through Technology

Have you ever noticed the “trickle down” effect that motorsports receives from the aerospace industry? A/N plumbing, exotic materials, new machining techniques, and high tech processes all find their way into our racecars… A perfect example of this is deep cryogenic processing; aerospace industries have used this treatment for over thirty years on critical components to increase their durability, relieve residual stresses, stabilize critical dimensions, and increase overall lifespan. Through the research and development of aeronautics, cryogenic processing progressed into the industrial and manufacturing segment as a means of improving tooling life; then it made its way into the firearms industry in the form of stress relieving high grade target rifle barrels. It also found its way into other sporting goods such as aluminum softball bats and golf clubs; many major manufacturers use the process to provide greater striking distance for their customers. Finally it has made its way to our sport. Today it is embraced by professional racers in many different sanctioning bodies, NASCAR, Formula One, Trans-Am, and the NHRA are but a few of the organizations whose racers use the cryogenic process to ensure their components never let them down at a critical moment. But, like many racers, you may not be familiar with the process and why it is something that you should look into.

What is Cryogenics and What Are Its Results and Benefits?

Cryogenics typically draws images of bodies frozen in suspended animation awaiting the day a cure for disease is found and they can be reanimated; in our case though it is much more mundane. Cryogenic processing was discovered accidentally by NASA engineers who found that some components on satellites were markedly stronger after they returned from the cold vacuum of space. But in more common terms it can actually be viewed as an extension of the heating/quenching/tempering cycle. We will examine Deep Freeze Cryogenics’ Vari-Cold™ process to shed some light on both the process itself and the physical attributes that are found after processing.
The Vari-Cold process is based on a predetermined thermal cycle that involves cooling of the material in a computer controlled cryogenic chamber. Vari-Cold utilizes the ramping benefits of ultra-cold nitrogen gas in conjunction with the deep cryogenic “soak” benefits provided by the use of liquid nitrogen. Materials are initially cooled to cryogenic temperatures with nitrogen gas utilizing precisely controlled temperature profiles, then slowly introduced to liquid nitrogen for the duration of the “soak” period (approximately 20 hours). The liquid phase provides the most efficient and uniform deep cryogenic soak at a constant temperature of –320 degrees Fahrenheit (impossible to achieve with gas alone). Materials are then slowly brought back to ambient temperatures. At that time, those materials requiring a post-cryo tempering are moved to a specially designed oven to complete this critical procedure.
The use of precisely controlled temperature profiles avoids any possibility of thermal stress that is experienced when a material or part is subjected to abrupt or extreme temperature changes. Though liquid nitrogen is used as a refrigerant, no material is introduced to the liquid until it has been slowly cooled and stabilized at cryogenic temperatures by the gaseous phase of the process.
Cryogenically treated materials show a marked increase in wear resistance without any discernable change in dimensional or volumetric integrity. The treated material becomes less brittle, without a significant change in overall hardness. The most significant and consistent change is the increased toughness, dimensional stability, and the ability to withstand increased abuse. The process is also used extensively to relieve residual and tensile stresses produced by forging, casting, machining, or welding of the subject material.
Two main changes in the microstructure of the material occur as a result of cryogenic processing. These changes are the principal reasons for the dramatic improvement in wear resistance.
First the retained austenitic grain structure (a loose knit, weak grain structure always present after heat treatment) is transformed into the harder, more durable martensitic grain structure. The range of retained austenite in a material after tempering may be as high as 50 percent or as low as five percent dependant upon the tempering equipment and the accuracy of the operator. Cryogenic treatment simply continues the conversion initiated by heat treatment, whereby 100 percent of the retained austenite is converted to martensite. As greater amounts of this retained austenitic structure is transformed and the wear resistant martensitic grain is increased, the material obtains a more uniform hardening. It can be viewed as a “through hardening” that goes above and beyond what is found in the heat treating cycle.
Second, fine eta carbide particles or precipitates are formed during the long cryogenic “soak” depending upon the alloying elements of the material. These are in addition to the larger carbide particles present before the cryogenic processing. The fine particles or “fillers,” along with the larger particles, form a dense, more coherent, and much tougher matrix in the material.
The surface energy of the martensitic structure is higher than the surface energy of the austenitic structure due to differences in their atomic structures. In potential adhesive-wear situations (like those found in the reciprocating assemblies of engines and driveline components), the martensitic grain is less likely to tear out than is the austenitic structure. The adhesive-wear coefficient is decreased, and the wear rate is decreased. In abrasive-wear situations (like piston to cylinder bore wear and clutch wear), both the martensitic formation and the fine eta carbide formation work together to reduce wear. The additional fine carbide particles help support the martensite matrix. This makes it more difficult to dig out lumps of the material. When a hard particle is squeezed onto the surface, the carbide matrix resists plowing and wear is reduced.
Almost any kind of ferrous and non-ferrous material, for whatever application, will exhibit a lifespan increase. As fewer parts are needed there is a substantial savings for the racer. Additionally decreased instances of component failure and wear will allow you to go more rounds and win more races with less time involved in maintenance and part replacement.

Motorsports Applications and Benefits

As recounted from above, just about any component that is subject to wear can be improved through cryogenic processing. It doesn’t matter whether it’s nodular iron, forged steel, aluminum, titanium, and even some composites (like nylon, delrin, and Teflon); they all exhibit increased durability and lifespans. Anywhere there is a possibility of wear, whether it is friction related, rolling, abrasive, adhesive, or impact; cryogenically treated components will keep the racer on the track. During the course of DFC’s research and development some components simply stood out after processing; the following are some examples.
Engine blocks and reciprocating assemblies are among the most significant of all components that show remarkable improvements after cryogenic treatment. Cast iron blocks that have been processed show decreased wear on the cylinder wall and have a reduced coefficient of friction resulting in better cylinder sealing. The further benefits of dimensional stabilization and stress relief are evident when you tear your engine down after the season; you will no doubt notice that your cylinders are no longer round but have become oval. Why? Whenever you bore, hone, or perform any other machining they become stressed. Pistons become oval when heated and wear against the cylinder wall forcing a similar shape on them; then you have poor sealing and increased leakdown resulting in decreased power. The cryogenic treatment removes these stresses on both the block and the pistons so now when they become hot there is no stress to cause these distortions. The pistons and cylinders still grow but they do so uniformly and the cylinder seal remains constant. When the engine block is cryogenically treated and the stresses are removed the dimensions stay constant and the reciprocating assembly will remain in proper alignment. Crankshafts and their bearings will resist the adhesive wear common in their usage and it is often found that bearings can be reused after an entire season because there is no wear evidenced. Typically a racer will see a four to eight percent increase in power production over an identical untreated engine.
Among the most highly stressed components in an engine are the valvetrain components. Valve springs themselves are the number one producer of heat in an engine due to their vibratory nature. Through cryogenic processing they stabilize at their rated pressure much more quickly and remain within spec for a longer length of time. Pushrods are less likely to bend or break after treatment, as are rocker arm assemblies. Camshafts and lifters are among the most significant of increases found after cryogenic treatment. The flat tappet camshafts and lifters common in many classes due to camshaft rules exhibit durability increases sometimes in excess of 400 percent. A few of DFC’s clients even report that the typical break-in procedure for flat tappet cams is no longer required! Roller camshafts and lifters in the racing environment typically have very aggressive ramp profiles that require extreme spring pressures in order to maintain lifter contact. These pressures are extremely hard on the needle bearings in the lifters as well as on the cam lobe itself. Cryogenically treated roller cams and lifters will live a longer and more productive life ensuring consistent valve timing.
Driveline components such as ring and pinions, axles, transmissions, clutch assemblies, and braking assemblies are subjected to some of the harshest punishment in the motorsports environment. The impact wear on differentials and axles in drag racing can be significantly reduced through cryogenic treatment. A torque converter manufacturer unwilling to convert to spragless configuration increased their torque carrying capability by over 250 lb/ft. on their inner and outer sprags through DFC’s Vari-Cold process. Brake rotors in a road-racing environment have shown lifespan increases of 500 percent. The process allows for more aggressive pads to be used without a detrimental affect on rotor life. Input and output shafts in transmissions, even those built out of the ultra-tough Vasco 300m material, show marked increases in torque handling capacity after cryogenic treatment.
Unfortunately the process does have a downfall; that downfall is that those unfamiliar with it will persist in their present thinking that it’s all a good marketing ploy. Afterall, cryogenic processing shows no outwardly visual change and if you can’t see it, it doesn’t exist, right? It doesn’t feel different either. So many racers dismiss a product or process because the physical benefits cannot be seen or felt; but the results at the end of the season speak for themselves. Perhaps some day it will be common knowledge that cryogenically treated components last longer and produce more consistent results. If you’re experiencing breakage or want that last little edge what do you have to lose? The guy in front of you knows…

do you have human bodies there????:D

great info. this is discussed on a few other boards i visit. i will pass this info a long

Dathan

We were discussing this very issue on the syty board the other day and we really couldn’t come to a conclusion on the benefits of treating a crankshaft. I recently called up a cryo treating company and spoke with one of their engineers about the process but I really didn’t get any straight forward answers to some questions. Maybe those same questions can be answered here which may be good information for others too.

The gentleman I spoke with via telephone at the cryo treating facility basically repeated most if not all of what is stated above but for a non metalergist(sp?) like myself most of it pretty well went over my head. I can grasp the increased durability to wear with no problem but the issue that I was and am most concerned about is what happens to the “bendability” of a crankshaft once treated? In a properly functioning rotating assembly the crankshaft rides on a film of oil as well as the rods so the benefits of cryo treating a crank for wear would be minimal IMO assuming that the oiling system is functioning correctly. Anyway, to me a “harder” crankshaft from cryo treatment would be more susceptible to breakage in my mind.

So, to sum my whole question up is how does cryo treating help with the torsional stresses that a crank shaft is mostly subjected to? Again I see its helpfulness against wear but as I mentioned the crank really doesn’t or shouldn’t have any/much wear assuming the oiling system is in proper working order.

Funny thing is I understood most of what was posted above:eek:

As far as a crankshaft goes, it would be somewhat similiar to a valve spring. Springs don't wear at all but are required to return to the same shape many times in their lifetime. A crank isn't much different being that the "wear" is actually happening mostly on the bearings but with all the other stresses it endures it must stay in the same shape. If the cryo treatment allows a spring to last longer then why can't it help a crank with many different stresses.

I know I am not an engineer, just a geek, HTH:D

In the case of TR cranks (and others of its ilk) the true benefits of the cryogenic process come about through the stress relieving and dimensional stabilizing properties of the process.

Cast crankshafts are not heat treated but are instead "work hardened;" this presents a problem in that anytime you cast, forge, machine, or weld a material you are introducing stresses to it. The stresses manifest themselves as unwanted harmonics, stress risers, and stress fracturing...All of which lead to failure in the material. Tempering reduces some of these stresses but since cast cranks (and blocks) aren't tempered they have all of the residual stresses left. The cryogenic process completely eliminates them. Additionally when you run an engine because every component is working against one another and all "grow" at inconsistent rates you have varying clearance during operation. The cryogenic process stabilizes this growth to be more consistent material to material so the clearances become stabilized where they should be.

As for the wear coefficient you are correct in that the crankshaft rides on a layer of oil; however to think there is no wear is false. Pull your maincaps and check your bearings and you'll find wear. This can be caused by poorly maintained clearance, contaminants, or detonation. Additionally any time you have two round surfaces operating within one another (like bearing to journal, or piston to wall) you will find them to have become ovate once you mic them... This is due to irregular growth while operating. This is again where the dimensional stability properties come into play. As for reducing the "flexibility" of the crankshaft that is not affected...It does not alter this factor nor does it introduce brittleness.
-Jeb
PS- Call me and I'd be happy to go further in depth than the guy you talked to did...I'm actually a machinist and engine builder so I can talk more in terms that actually apply to motorsports... DFC's number (toll-free): (866) 324-2796

Thanks for the info... I will prolly give you a call next week as Im an engine builder too so maybe we can speak the same language unlike the fellow I talked to at the other company. He was a nice enough fellow but very much an engineer.

The syty crowd is pretty much stuck with the stock cast crank as no aftermarket even fire cranks can be had and to step up to forged requires going odd fire which is a huge expense/hassle for the syty.

FWIW.. I understand about the wear a crank and bearings will see even though "on paper" the crank rides on a film of oil but didnt want to concentrate the post on that subject hence the very general statement about the oil film and no wear.. I would have prolly gotten too far off track with all that extra info.

cryo'd crank

Jeb treated my crank and my cam. I'll have it running within a week, but I won't know the results for several years - hopefully!!! I broke my crankshaft about 2 months ago and decided I'd purchase a little insurance for this crank. You guys know the trouble with cams in these engines, so I did the cam too. Can't hurt, and it wasn't expensive. I have read several articles where the Pro-Stock guys are using it....so.....
anyway...thanks Jeb.
Trent

PS: yeah us hillbillys down here in Arkansaw took a long time ta figur out why they put that side blower owna montecarlo. Seemsta wurk awrite ah reckon.