You can type here any text you want

Custom Valve Covers and Vents

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Auto Zone has them in loan a tool so you don't need to buy it. Get the engine warm, take all the plugs out and screw the adaptor in one cylinder at a time. Disconnect the the power to the distributor and crank the engine over 5 or 6 times on each cylinder. Write down the number and report back.

The 84/85 passenger side cover has the backend beveled to clear the AC/heater box, but I have heard that others covers will (barely) fit. What kind of breather cap do you use that clears the up and down pipes?
Back then I didn't use a breather, just PCV only. They were 2bbl NS VC's same as 4.1. Removed the bracket that is normally on the passenger VC then put it on the drivers side under the carb plenum. Then with the drivers VC on the passenger side the fill hole is almost just under the DP, I kept a locking oil cap on that side. There wasn't a whole lot of room still for filling up the crank case and you most certainly didn't do it with the engine warm "hot pipes" Just stuck a long funnel in the oil fill. If I remember there was about 2.25-2.5 inches of clearance under the DP so you could still run a breather oil cap but it would have to be low profile.
Then of course if you already have steel turbo VC's then you have no problems.

sorry, Im trying to get a compression check guage but they are really expensive and ive never used one before.

you seriously dont have a flea market or old tool shop anywhere nearby? I got mine with the spark adapter and hose adapter for bout $15 from an used tool seller; he had a bunch of old sockets, stuff, tools, machinists' tools, power tools, etc...kind of like say, a pawn store or something....it works for me, and nice thing is it didnt cost me arm n leg for tools i couldnt find at say, Harbor Freight.

If you have this much smoke coming out the breather, valve covers are you least concern. Have you changed your PCV recently? If it's working, then do a compression test and see where are the all the blowby is coming from.

where did you route your pcv/valve cover breather hose to in this setup?
cone82.JPG

It's just sitting there below the accordian duct. It has the breather filter in the end (you can't see it). There shouldn't be 'smoke' or anything much at all coming out it. It's just a breather vent.

It's just sitting there below the accordian duct. It has the breather filter in the end (you can't see it). There shouldn't be 'smoke' or anything much at all coming out it. It's just a breather vent.

wow that sucks because Im getting all kinds of smoke in the car if I disconnect the hose.

Back