You can type here any text you want

Cutting front springs anybody do it yet

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

hansongn

hey got a 87 gn and im gonna cut the front factory springs about an 1" or2", but i wanna put on lakewood 90/10 shocks am i going to run into any problems? thanks guys

It's been done many different times and there are good results and bad results. When you cut the springs, you also raise the spring rate so it'll have a harsher ride. Now if your trying to make a difference of 1/2" or so, I wuld go ahead and cut the springs but if your trying to go 1-2", I would just buy a tried and true spring that'll get you to your drop goals. It'll probably be less hassle for you in the long run. If you do a search, you'll find many different posts about many different springs, then you can decide which might best suit you. We all have our choice springs.

I have cut many a spring with no ill effects.
Measure your cars stance then remove the spring and measure down the spring from the top how much you want to remove.
Reinstall springs. With the shocks measure ride height and full droop. Then give those numbers to lakewood or competition engineering. They will get you the correct shock.

Just did it, dropped 1 inch, remember to cut same amount off of the bump stop! easy and cheap/free. much better look, ride has not changed that much. I run 17x9's in front so it rubs the wheel well for a second on a bad bump, still have to investigate that issue

hey brady did u cut the bottom of the spring or the top. and did u just guess how much the inch was or did u have a method to your madness, i love cheap go fast stuff nothin makes me happier thanks for all your input guys

I had to remove and replace twice as i didnt want to cut to much out. I cut the bottom only because the top rubber cushion stayed stuck to the spring. That was nice cause it made it easy to reinstall. You can tape yours if it comes off. I ended up cutting off a 1/2 turn of the coil, started at 1/4 but didnt lower it at all. My car has 58000 miles on it. I would GUESS that a car with higher miles might lower with less of a cut because of spring sag?? Basically its trial and error.

Back