You can type here any text you want

Dallas, Tx guy visits Chicago for the first time...

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

at7we2

just wanted to post some feedback on what I think is an AWSOME city!!

I was in Chicago for a trade show this past Wednesday through Friday. Unfortunatley, I was so busy with the trade show and related obligations I really didn't have much time to really appreciate Chicago - HOWEVER....what I did manage to see and experience of Chicago was AWSOME! you guys have a BEAUTIFUL city!! The buildings, the people, the food! WOW!!

I really wanted a real Chicago style hot dog and some authentic Chicago style pizza, but I never had a chance to get a real hot dog. I did manage to make it into Lou Marteli's (probably mispelling the last name) and had some INCREDIBLE deep-dish pizza!!! Man, that was good. Washed it down with a Goose Island "Honker Ale" and that was the perfect combo!!!

I did get to walk around State and Rush. Had dinner at Hugo's Frog Bar one night. Man that area was cool! walked along Lakeshore Drive a little early Friday morning...that was beautiful too.

Everybody I spoke to was really proud of their city and it's easy to see why. Lot's of culture and history. Awsome city guys!!!! I'm looking forward to going back, hopefully with more time to see the sights. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

EXCELLENT!! sounds GOOD! Actually, while I was in Lou's, I noticed they had a glass door cooler with pizza's packed in aluminum pans "to go".

Thanks for the reply. I'm kinda surprised I didn't get any replies sooner. My comments are sincere. I was really impressed with Chicago! I wanted to stay longer and experience more. I want to go BACK!! I'm going to print your post and keep the names of the places you mentioned. I don't suppose anybody up there has figured out how to ship a real Chicago hot dog?

One other thing I didn't mention, my flight back to Dallas left well after dark. I was spectacular to look down and see the Chicago lights at night and really cool to see the way the lights just stop at the edge of Lake Michigan. That was a strange site for someone from a land locked city like Dallas.

It would have been cool to meet up with some of you Chicago Buick guys, but I barely had time to do anything while I was there.

Rob

Glad you had a good time. Lou Mals is awesome pizza, I've spoiled myself by getting it too often and don't appreciate it as much any more.

Lou's rocks!!!!!!!!

Just had a customer in from Briggs, TX. He said he had to have Chicago style pizza so off to Lou's we went. After his 1st bite he was weak in the knees.

I think Lou's beats Uno's (yes the original one in the city), Giordanos, etc.

Glad you enjoyed yourself. We have a great town...aside from the crowds and the winters...:mad:

Talk about taking things for granted. The people in my office have lunch from Portillo's EVERY SINGLE DAY. No wonder they are all packing on the lbs.:eek:

My 2 cents ..........

Highlight of the city for me is Wrigley Field during a night game. Area atmosphere is a must experience!!!!!!!

Chicagoland - Good place to visit, bad place to live.

My property tax just went up to $23,500 a year:eek: :eek:

My 2 cents ..........

Highlight of the city for me is Wrigley Field during a night game. Area atmosphere is a must experience!!!!!!!

Chicagoland - Good place to visit, bad place to live.

My property tax just went up to $23,500 a year:eek: :eek:

Certain small areas are bad places to live but mostly Chicago is a great place to live and raise a family, I've been living here for 28 years and still lovin' it.

Certain small areas are bad places to live but mostly Chicago is a great place to live and raise a family, I've been living here for 28 years and still lovin' it.

Now that you mentioned it, I was wondering how that might work out. I'll have to visit a few more times to really get the feel and maybe scope out different areas. From the little bit that I saw though, seems like a really cool place to live. My wife and I have been talking about a change of scenery.

Dallas is a pretty nice city really, it's actually a lot more "metropolitan" than most people realize, yet the culture here blends the "good 'ol boy" heritage with big money and some New York, Chicago, LA style. You wouldn't believe how many major corporations are based here or have major corporate offices here. We've got a pretty low cost of living too.

Someone mentioned Chicago's winters - yup, I've heard they're wicked, even bad enough to drive tons of people "South for the winter". You start seeing lots of Northern plates on the road in Dallas about this time of year. On the other hand, any of you Chicago guys suffer through a North Texas summer? It's not as bad as Arizona, but sometimes we get several days where you might as well be in Arizona. Turbo Buicks don't like it one bit! :eek:

Rob

Now that you mentioned it, I was wondering how that might work out. I'll have to visit a few more times to really get the feel and maybe scope out different areas. From the little bit that I saw though, seems like a really cool place to live. My wife and I have been talking about a change of scenery.

Dallas is a pretty nice city really, it's actually a lot more "metropolitan" than most people realize, yet the culture here blends the "good 'ol boy" heritage with big money and some New York, Chicago, LA style. You wouldn't believe how many major corporations are based here or have major corporate offices here. We've got a pretty low cost of living too.

Someone mentioned Chicago's winters - yup, I've heard they're wicked, even bad enough to drive tons of people "South for the winter". You start seeing lots of Northern plates on the road in Dallas about this time of year. On the other hand, any of you Chicago guys suffer through a North Texas summer? It's not as bad as Arizona, but sometimes we get several days where you might as well be in Arizona. Turbo Buicks don't like it one bit! :eek:

Rob

The winters are kinda rough but not that bad in Chicago, we usually will get 3-4 big snow storms each winter and the temperature will dip below zero a few times, sometimes for a week at a time but otherwise it's tolerable. Our summers also get kinda hot but not Dallas or Arizona hot. Some people in my family have moved from Chicago due to the winters but they all still reminisce about it.

I visited Dallas last Christmas, it's seems like a nice place to live too.

Back