dallas,tx i need your help on buying a 87 GN

dashoekid21

recently came across a 87 grand national which looks to be an excellent condition.the owner is asking 12500.is that a good price? anything i should look for before i buy? can someone with knowledge give me any input.ive done my reserch but would like to know from guys who haved actully owned one. the car has 80,000 miles and the interior is real nice.

gn1.jpg

gn2.jpg

gn3.jpg

gn4.jpg

It's on a car lot? Have you driven the car? Can they tell you who the previous owner(s) are?

Is it a Texas car? Has it ever been up North? Check for rust in the bottom of the doors.

Is the car stock? Any mods?

yes its on a car lot, and no im going to drive it this week.the previous owner is the brothers of the salesman i talked to. the only thing it has upgraded is a brand new turbo and i believe the owner added a cd player and some speakers. other than that he cranked it up and sounded really good.
do you think 12500 is a good price?

yes its on a car lot, and no im going to drive it this week.the previous owner is the brothers of the salesman i talked to. the only thing it has upgraded is a brand new turbo and i believe the owner added a cd player and some speakers. other than that he cranked it up and sounded really good.
do you think 12500 is a good price?

Not bad from what I can tell from the pics. But the market is soft right now. You can find the same car for maybe 10K?

I would ask for a carfax report on it. It will least tell you who the previous owners were and where the car came from. What is the brothers name?

Stock turbo? And you said new, ask for paperwork for proof. Trust me if they want to really sell it they'll will give you this stuff. The market is that soft.

Talk to the brother ask him where he got it and how long he has owned it. That should jive with the carfax report.

I'm sorry I don't trust used car lots. They could have bought it in a auction and know nothing about the car.

Also ask for the stock rims, where are they?

Be sure to check the vin to make sure it is a turbo car, I looked at 2 so called Grand Nationals in the dfw area, they turned out to be v8 regals. I am about 30 mins from duncanville and can come look at it with you if you want. I already have a gn so i wont try and buy it from under you. I need a parts car to put mine together. Let me know.
Greg

Be sure to check the vin to make sure it is a turbo car, I looked at 2 so called Grand Nationals in the dfw area, they turned out to be v8 regals. I am about 30 mins from duncanville and can come look at it with you if you want. I already have a gn so i wont try and buy it from under you. I need a parts car to put mine together. Let me know.
Greg

the car is actully in duncanville off camp wisdom. im only 21 yrs. old and my both my parents have no idea what a gn is.so that would be great if you can come out and help me out.

the car is actully in duncanville off camp wisdom. im only 21 yrs. old and my both my parents have no idea what a gn is.so that would be great if you can come out and help me out.

I am at work today at the ft worth fire dept, i am off wedn and thurs but as you know the streets are screwed right now, so maybe this weekend. Pm me your #.

I actually have been dabbling with the idea of getting an 87 GN. It will be a while before I get one because I haven't had a substantial paycheck for 3 months due to changing jobs but I just sold my E36 M3. I just have started researching and getting a good grasp of what these puppies are selling for.

Here are some of the "local" cars I have found online. I've seen some other nice buicks but have decided to narrow it down to an 87 GN bc I like the all black. I like the regal Turbo Ts but I've only purchased black cars and plan on keeping it that way despite loving the way white or blue paint looks on cars.

Weatherford with T Tops(hopefully garage kept) $12k
1987 Buick Grand National 52K Original Miles

Sherman with salvage title and incorrect mileage listed $9900 from a dealer
1987 Buick Grand National

From doing a little dabbling around I think it is this same car I found listed on craigslist Houston for $8k because the description listed roughly the same mileage as the carfax and listed as a salvage title and recovery. There was a listed change of ownership on the paperwork a little before Christmas on the Sherman car's carfax, from Katy, TX. The ad is not up anymore as of today which stinks because I would have gotten the contact info of the previous owner.

My only issue I may run into when I pull the trigger is getting a pre-purchase inspection by someone who knows these cars really well and can get it on a lift and look for specific items a little better than I can with just reading a checklist online. I know how to run a compression test etc. but due to lack of experience with any GN's I am afraid to judge a car alone. Plus the knowledgeable can get a better grasp of what the car is worth than I can!!

I actually have been dabbling with the idea of getting an 87 GN. It will be a while before I get one because I haven't had a substantial paycheck for 3 months due to changing jobs but I just sold my E36 M3. I just have started researching and getting a good grasp of what these puppies are selling for.

Here are some of the "local" cars I have found online. I've seen some other nice buicks but have decided to narrow it down to an 87 GN bc I like the all black. I like the regal Turbo Ts but I've only purchased black cars and plan on keeping it that way despite loving the way white or blue paint looks on cars.

Weatherford with T Tops(hopefully garage kept) $12k
1987 Buick Grand National 52K Original Miles

Sherman with salvage title and incorrect mileage listed $9900 from a dealer
1987 Buick Grand National

From doing a little dabbling around I think it is this same car I found listed on craigslist Houston for $8k because the description listed roughly the same mileage as the carfax and listed as a salvage title and recovery. There was a listed change of ownership on the paperwork a little before Christmas on the Sherman car's carfax, from Katy, TX. The ad is not up anymore as of today which stinks because I would have gotten the contact info of the previous owner.

My only issue I may run into when I pull the trigger is getting a pre-purchase inspection by someone who knows these cars really well and can get it on a lift and look for specific items a little better than I can with just reading a checklist online. I know how to run a compression test etc. but due to lack of experience with any GN's I am afraid to judge a car alone. Plus the knowledgeable can get a better grasp of what the car is worth than I can!!

i went to sherman and looked at the car myself.it was okay but since it was a stolen car the thiefs took the hood seats,and tires i think.but didnt not want to purchase it because it has a salvage title

Check the tag on the transmission. Make sure you got a 8.5" rear end. Vin check. Check for rust under door, floors and inside rear wheel wells. Stock rims will run you another $5-700 maybe more depending on condition. It looks like a $7-8K car from here but just depends on the mechanical condition of it. Those are Racine wheels which tells you they problably ragged it out. Better cross your t's and dot your i's or get taken advantage of.

Check the tag on the transmission. Make sure you got a 8.5" rear end. Vin check. Check for rust under door, floors and inside rear wheel wells. Stock rims will run you another $5-700 maybe more depending on condition. It looks like a $7-8K car from here but just depends on the mechanical condition of it. Those are Racine wheels which tells you they problably ragged it out. Better cross your t's and dot your i's or get taken advantage of.

If you can find a nice clean 86-87 GN (not saying this one is) for 7K you better buy it! The economy is down but not that much down.

The wheels are either Welds or Cragers. What are Racine wheels? Do you mean racing wheels? I have ran these types of rims on my car and it is not ragged out.

I think with the stock wheels the car is worth a little more... although when I bought my GN in 1996, it had the same exact rims and no stockers and I paid $8500.00.

But yes check up inside the fender wells if the car has been raced a lot you should be able to tell. Does that mean it's ragged out? No. Not to many GN's have not been raced at least once.

i live in duncanville and see this car everyday. i know the guy that worked on it a year ago but he moved. i may know how to get a hold of him. i remeber when they wanted 16.5 for it

i live in duncanville and see this car everyday. i know the guy that worked on it a year ago but he moved. i may know how to get a hold of him. i remeber when they wanted 16.5 for it

can you do that and help me out.he told me 12.5 .but from what im hearing that is way to much.