You can type here any text you want

Dash Bezel Removal

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

626gn

Trying to replace my volts bulb. Before I attempt to remove my dash bezel is there a specific location I should be tugging on to get the bezel off without breaking anything? Did a search and it looks like the piece just snaps in and out (no screws) but didn't mention if I should pull it from a specific spot on the bezel.

Just work your way around it and don't force it and I think if you remove the gauge surround after that you can get to the bulbs withoutpulling the cluster all the way out.

Scott,

Yes, the trim bezel just snaps in/out with metal clips. As the guy above me said, just work your way around and it will pop loose. From there you will need a 7mm socket for the small bolts (x4 I think?) that hold the cluster in place. From there you just pull the cluster out far enough to reach behind the cluster to give the bulb socket a 1/8" turn. Also helps to take the grey trim piece off as well. It uses the same 7mm bolts and just unscrews and can be lifted around the steering column and wheel. That will give you some more room to get your hands back there. The resistance you will feel when pulling on the cluster is the speedo cable, RPM/boost cluster wiring, and digital-to-analog VSS window and wiring...so don't pull it too far out.

Did yours go out or something? If not, I wouldn't mess with it. I still have the original one in mine as far as I know and it still works like a champ.

I just had to take mine out and clean all my connections. Long story short my car kept dying in traffic. Almost like the alternator was failing. Long story short, I FINALLY figured out my dash connection wasn't good and I was losing connection at random times to my volt bulb, which completes that charging connection. I was thrown for a loop as to why it kept dying. Finally, someone pointed me in the right direction. Got it fixed. But yes, u should be good just tugging on the bezel gently all the way around. U can feed the speedo cable in more from fire wall if u need more room when u pull cluster out and are free'd up from your other connections. Like the VSS, security light etc...

The bezel pulls out via "ogeesus" clips surrounding the bezel. Odds are, a few of the clips will stay in the rectangular holes instead of staying attached to the dash. If so, they usually make it to the sound deadener panel above the pedals. So, you will save some aggravation by removing that panel and looking for the stray clips. Rarely does the bezel come off without leaving the clips behind.

be extremely careful when pulling the cluster.
do not, again DO NOT pull by grabbing the rear of the cluster or near the thin, delicate contact film that is on the back.
you can and probaby rip it off.

Scott,

Yes, the trim bezel just snaps in/out with metal clips. As the guy above me said, just work your way around and it will pop loose. From there you will need a 7mm socket for the small bolts (x4 I think?) that hold the cluster in place. From there you just pull the cluster out far enough to reach behind the cluster to give the bulb socket a 1/8" turn. Also helps to take the grey trim piece off as well. It uses the same 7mm bolts and just unscrews and can be lifted around the steering column and wheel. That will give you some more room to get your hands back there. The resistance you will feel when pulling on the cluster is the speedo cable, RPM/boost cluster wiring, and digital-to-analog VSS window and wiring...so don't pull it too far out.

Did yours go out or something? If not, I wouldn't mess with it. I still have the original one in mine as far as I know and it still works like a champ.
Thanks Austin, got it off. Your instructions were spot on as usual. I bought a bulb with a resistor on it as a preventative measure in the event the volt bulb ever goes out I can still start the car. If you don’t have a resistor bulb (or don’t have the resistor mod done to your pc board) your charging system will not work and your car won’t start if the volt bulb burns out. That’s where some will use a Caspers Field Fix Harness to solve this issue. John Spina said few cars came with resistor bulbs but most did not. Funny thing is, after going through all the trouble of removing the bezel and pulling the cluster, the car already had a freak’in resistor bulb in there so I didn’t even need it! So if you ever need one...I gots one for ya ;)

The bezel pulls out via "ogeesus" clips surrounding the bezel. Odds are, a few of the clips will stay in the rectangular holes instead of staying attached to the dash. If so, they usually make it to the sound deadener panel above the pedals. So, you will save some aggravation by removing that panel and looking for the stray clips. Rarely does the bezel come off without leaving the clips behind.
The "ogeesus" clip went by a different name today :D. Lucky I only lost one of um.

Hey 626gn, If your resistor bulb is available, I'd like to buy it?
Sent you a PM.

thanks & best wishes for a Happy New Year!

dave

Yeah, mine has the resistor bulb but thanks for the offer. Glad you got 'er done without issues.

Back