dash harness digital vs analog

earcher1

does anyone know if there is a difference between an analog dash harness and a digital dash harness,or is the difference just in the clusters themselfs?
thankyou for helping,ed.:smile:

harness

Hi; I tried to replace my digital cluster with an analog unit and the harness did not match up. I guess that makes them different. I have always wanted to swap digital for analog, but I never get a straight answer if it can be done??

Dave:

there are two connectors and they arent the same

easiest way to go from analog to digital is swap the dash harness
engine side harness is the same for analog and digital but youll need to install a map sensor in place of the hobbs switch on passenger fender if yu want the analog boost gauge to work
and the sender in the tank is calibrated differently , the analog uses a 0-90ohm sender the digital is 0-120 ohm , if you dont swap it wont be accurate.

+1, what he said above ^. The dash harnesses are two different part numbers and significantly different. You need to find a good, unhacked, clean dash harness from a parts car. A reproduction dash harness is not available (don't ask me - won't do it).

there are two connectors and they arent the same

easiest way to go from analog to digital is swap the dash harness
engine side harness is the same for analog and digital but youll need to install a map sensor in place of the hobbs switch on passenger fender if yu want the analog boost gauge to work
and the sender in the tank is calibrated differently , the analog uses a 0-90ohm sender the digital is 0-120 ohm , if you dont swap it wont be accurate.

thanks guys.so amazed by the weath of knowlege on here.how about this one?is it really nesc to change the dash harness?im doing my 87 na car into a turbo car.(dont shoot me down:Di have so many parts right now it's rediculas for this project)the ecm connections are on the engine harness.so im thinking,other than a few power circuits i will need to fabricate from the dash fuse block. i dont see if it's actually nesc.and then...the harness that runs from the fuse block to the taillight harness.i know the fuel pump circuit is in that harness,but i'll be using a reds double pumper that will have all its own wiring.i already changed the tailight harness and i'll be changing the fuel tank to a turbo tank and sender assy so the fuel guage will be fine. any thoughts?

this is unrelated to the original post of digital tp analog as you're talking about doing a hybrid(turbo conversion) using the engine harness but without using the dash harness

the turbo dash harness supports the analog cluster tach boost module in the analog gauge cluster
without the turbodash harness youll be wiring your own for these

besides the power for the fuel pump and power for the stock fuel relay on the passenger fender theres also the power for the injectors and the ignition module as well as power for the fan relays which the dash harness provides
without the harness youll be doing these yourself

the dash harness also provides the path back from the fuel relay back into the car to the body harness to the harness connection under the rear bumper to the tank , this wire connection at the tank is what feeds the hotwire kit to activate the hotwires relay ,
without the dash and the body harness youll be wiring this on your own
theres also the rewiring to the fuel sender which youll need a fuel injected fuel sender so its easier to have the correct weather tight plug ins for that
the turbo dash harness also provides the power for the ecm

the turbo dash harness also provides the lockup power if you run a brf 2004r and want lockup as well as lockup disconnection with the brake pedal switch

theres also the aldl connector

and theres also the wire for the alternator field "L" port that needs to connect to the volt light in the dash cluster with the resistor on the back otherwise youll have to be creative on getting the alternator to function

can it be done without the harness , sure but for as cheap as a used dash harness is (usually under 150.00) it seems silly not to use a stock turbo dash harness and the body harness to the rear

i would say i have to agree with you then,and thankyou.i have two dash harness,i was just wondering.i changed the dash in my 85 cutlass and wasnt bad at all.i cant wait to start the transplant.the whole body conversion and paint is done so now im gonna do the rear,control arms,exhaust and then the drivetrain.then i have an ungodly amount of parts to unload.exactly (2) 87 gn's worth.:cool:

I took out my digital cluster to go with a custom Autometer set-up and had to change the gas tank sending unit. Still have the digital cluster in my extra parts box.