.........Deer Hunters.......how's your season going?

Here's a pic of our Gordon Setter:

Attachments

• Copy of PA270014.jpg
    Copy of PA270014.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 257
Nice buck and I really miss hunting WV, got my first deer there in 74 with a bow. So far I have passed up everthing I have seen, just waiting on a big one. Love that .257 WM, it really does the job.

Jim

Nice buck and I really miss hunting WV, got my first deer there in 74 with a bow. So far I have passed up everthing I have seen, just waiting on a big one. Love that .257 WM, it really does the job.

Jim

Yeah, I was super impressed with it and 2 for 2 is a damned fine start. :D

Here is why my dad quit using his 300 Weatherby on deer. He was using a 150 grain, above the deer, and he hit spine............not a good combination and a little too powerful for a ~120 lb deer. :eek:

300wthybhole.jpg

Let's keep this thread going.... I'm glad it got started this year... anyway since I do not have any personal pictures to share, I'm going to post my buddies pic. He took this with the bow on 22 October... pretty impressive for pre-rut. We are really trying to be selective about the bucks being taken off the property, we would actually let this deer walk if it were rifle season...

Chadley, those are big mid-west whitetail you got there... that's exactly the reason I gave up on hunting in the South where I live now. I go out west on vacation and hunt my buddies land every year for a chance at one of those hosses, we are hunting South of you in Missouri.

Attachments

• BFD-Oct 23,08 00007.jpg
    BFD-Oct 23,08 00007.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 242
Let's keep this thread going.... I'm glad it got started this year... anyway since I do not have any personal pictures to share, I'm going to post my buddies pic. He took this with the bow on 22 October... pretty impressive for pre-rut. We are really trying to be selective about the bucks being taken off the property, we would actually let this deer walk if it were rifle season...

Chadley, those are big mid-west whitetail you got there... that's exactly the reason I gave up on hunting in the South where I live now. I go out west on vacation and hunt my buddies land every year for a chance at one of those hosses, we are hunting South of you in Missouri.

Wow, that buck's a lunker as well. Yeah those guys are hunting a seperate subspecies of whitetail as us, friggin monsters. :(

On a seperate note, turbofabricator. How's the disposition of your Gordon Setter? Are they big shedders? I'm researching my next dog and I've thought about an Irish or Gordon Setter. I have 2 kids, 1/4 acre fenced, and plenty of neighborhood kids so they have to be great with kids. Of course any dog I get will be socialized early and often with everybody they can. :)

Kind of figured you would have some problems with videocorder in cold weather To bad you couldnt rig a handwarmer around it & wrap it and still be able to get to the buttons.They are nice looking deer and a great looking dog.I hunt off the porch That way there all I have to do is start the tractor after I shoot it and go pick him up Too old to drag deer out Ive hunted in snow up to my butt,stood in pouring rain all day.Forget that.I did get a 4pnt buck.Yep right off the porch.137yrds.Down hill.He weighed in at 138 after the gut job

Kind of figured you would have some problems with videocorder in cold weather To bad you couldnt rig a handwarmer around it & wrap it and still be able to get to the buttons.They are nice looking deer and a great looking dog.I hunt off the porch That way there all I have to do is start the tractor after I shoot it and go pick him up Too old to drag deer out Ive hunted in snow up to my butt,stood in pouring rain all day.Forget that.I did get a 4pnt buck.Yep right off the porch.137yrds.Down hill.He weighed in at 138 after the gut job

I actually did tape a handwarmer to it, that's how I got that fawn footage, lol.

Next year I am going to have a neoprene sleeve for it with some space blanket material in it and a pocket for a handwarmer. It was rainproof though, and when it was warm enough, it worked well. So I'm happy with it I just need to add some good old fashion redneck engineering to it. :D

Here is why my dad quit using his 300 Weatherby on deer. He was using a 150 grain, above the deer, and he hit spine............not a good combination and a little too powerful for a ~120 lb deer. :eek:

300wthybhole.jpg

Same thing I learned years ago with my 300 Win Mag. Too much rifle for deer.

On a seperate note, turbofabricator. How's the disposition of your Gordon Setter? Are they big shedders? I'm researching my next dog and I've thought about an Irish or Gordon Setter. I have 2 kids, 1/4 acre fenced, and plenty of neighborhood kids so they have to be great with kids. Of course any dog I get will be socialized early and often with everybody they can. :)

Gordon Setters are typical "setters". They LOVE to run.......ALL DAY! She has even jumped our 6 ft. fence. Only once, though. She got a little abrasion on her leg after that, and has decided that fence jumping is painful. Irish Setters are THICK in the head, and not the best hunters anymore. (some say) Gordon setter have 10X the intelligence of the Irish setters. (so I'm told by dog breeders) Our dog has shorter than normal hair, and her shedding is acceptable. (MUCH less than our Llewellin setter) Field breeding vs. show breeding. She NEEDS a shock collar to keep her in line for the first hour or so. Then she follows commands real well. I haven't spent much time training her, though. She is AWSOME with kids. Gordy's tend to bond with one family member more than the others. They sometimes change their minds on who that family memeber is, though. Very smart dog. She sleeps next to my leg every night. If I try to move her over, she moves, but grumbles (not growls) as she moves. Kinda like she's cussing me out. It's real funny.
They do like to work. They WANT to have something to do, and eagerly train. They like the challenge. But, like people, everyone is different. PM me for my number if you have specific questions about Gordy's, or Buicks for that matter.
Sorry for the thread Hi-jack.:redface:

I really enjoy the pictures. This great to see others interested in hunting! I love it so much we moved from Michigan to Iowa so we could have more prime hunting. My wife really likes the deer hunting and I love birds but I never say no either. Yesterday was 25 mph winds and snowing. You could hardly see as the snow hit your face so hard it hurt. The birds held tight and we had many beautiful points and were able to shoot five roosters.

Yes bucks are not as good as doe’s for eating. That’s why I shoot about five doe’s a year. We eat very little to no beef in out family. We’ve eaten venison so long we know no different. Between South Dakota and Iowa I typically shoot 60-70 pheasants and then there are turkeys so we only buy meat when company comes.

Good luck hunting and here is a picture of my brother and my dog. And another of my son last year on one of his first outing. He’s 16 months old in the picture. I carry him on my back and loves to watching the dog and always wants to touch the bids.

Attachments

• bird.JPG
    bird.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 202
  • josh.JPG
    josh.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 212
I've let too many walk. Looking for a nice 8 or larger. Hunted at one friend's club where the shooter rule was stupid big, 18 inch inside spread and 8 point or better (big $$$ club). On a Saturday hunt saw 42 does and nothing with horns that approched their shooter requirements. Seems all their management bucks and does are reserved for members. They are trying to get throphy animals, but seems to me they are just getting over-populated.

Been hunting twice on another friend or a friends place. We're trying to help him with his hog problem. Hogs are tearing his place up and running out all the deer. I've shot 2 125# hogs with my bow.:biggrin:
John

Got these pics in the back yard.. I love the country..:D

Attachments

• MDGC0004.jpg
    MDGC0004.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 220
  • MDGC0013.jpg
    MDGC0013.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 210
  • MDGC0015.jpg
    MDGC0015.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 207
Hey Jason, bring him with you to the party, I have something I want to "show" him :biggrin: :biggrin:

I've taken a few yrs off from hunting because of kids,house,job,ect.
My new house is in a area of mostly cornfields, some residential\industrial and patches of woods.
Was riding my atv in the fields behind my house when I almost ran over a 8pt'r at 40mph that ran right in front of me:eek: since then I've seen 3 other large racks in the area on my atv.
Needless to say I'm looking for a new bow for next year since mine is older technology. Hopefully next yr I'll be able to show some pics.

Nice bucks BTW!!

I left work early and hit a WMA in my area, the property my family owns is 180miles up the road and the only place I usually hunt, and the visit to the WMA reinforced why I hate hunting public land. There was litter every where and I saw no deer and 15 hunters. The land was 1,300 acres. So I left where I wanted to go, kept seeing orange and was going to head to another spot and saw 2 more hunters and just packed up and left. I still had a good time, and when in Rome act like a Roman so I was just casually walking through a lot of it scouting out the woods I hadn't been in for bow season next year. No one is hardly in there for bow season.

I have 2 more days left in me, I will run back to the property for muzzleloader. :D

I'm 41 and I've been hunting since 12. Every year I get at least one buck and several doe. Right outside of New Hope I have 200 acres we hunt on. It's all private and we grow just about everything a big buck likes including big doe. I've brought some friends on the propriety and they say it's like hunting in the zoo :) The best I've done was a 12 point buck and 5 doe with the shotgun. That was all within 15 min span! :eek: The warden was waiting for me when I pulled all of those out of the woods! Since there are way to many deer in bucks county were I hunt you can get as many doe permits as you want. Over the years it's been thinning out due to home development all around us. There are 20 homes on land that had one home on it. :frown: I eat so much deer meat all year long that I had some prime rib in a restaurant and I sent it back thinking it was bad! Can't get enough of that venison! :cool: He me and one of my boys.... :cool:

2003BUCK001.jpg

another little puppy...

SM11-29-04-03.jpg