You can type here any text you want

Delmia on which GN to buy

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Brocks GN

I am looking at two gn's one is a 86 has alot of stuff on it valve job and guildes new spring, retainers bowl blended heads ,cam BV6-3A 268-8, Rollmaster timing chain and gears, 60lb inj, TE-44, Kirbans frame braces, rebilt trans with 2800 stall it has around 80K miles on it.
The other car is a 87 GN bone stock and has 120K miles on it. Which would you think would be the better buy and why? Also I am planning on using it as a daily driver for about a year. Both are about the same price too.

Well of course without seeing both cars it's hard to say but it sounds like the slightly modded one would be the better choice.

The miles are higher on the stock one and it will need some money invested to get it up to more modern standards for a daily driver / week-end warrior.

That's what I think anyways.

No-one leaves these things stock for long. I predict you will be the same.

i 2nd that, take the 86. it has less miles, the minor upgrades will put a :D on your face. its more rare then the 87.

just my $.02

buickbert

Just my opinions but.....87's seem to bring more money on resale. 120k isn't bad on a 3.8 that is really stock, look for the usual to see if it's been whipped on. A modded car may cause some drivability problems due to keeping it in tune with the added parts. Tough decision!!

What are they priced at?

IMHO,the stock 87 with the addition of a TT chip and a new timing chain would be a great daily driver.

I'd say flip a coin to decide!

It's a tough call. Yeah, the 86 is rarer(less made).....but, EVERYONE wants an 87. Its all about getting one produced in its final year!

80,000 miles is a lot more appealing to me than 120,000 miles......BUT, was the 86 done right? A lot of people have no clue, do sloppy work, and just throw parts together.

What would be the deciding factor for me would be the paint and body. Which car has fewer flaws? Also look at the underbody. Which is less rusted? also look for leaks(rear main, etc).

Take both for a test drive. Yes, the 86 will be faster, but pay attention to other things. Compare how they idle, which car is smoother, any strange noises, etc?

If both cars are pretty close(besides those mods on the 86)......I'd say buy the one with the better paint job and the one with the fewest dents,dings,etc.

ANDYS87 said:
I'd say flip a coin to decide!

It's a tough call. Yeah, the 86 is rarer(less made).....but, EVERYONE wants an 87. Its all about getting one produced in its final year!

80,000 miles is a lot more appealing to me than 120,000 miles......BUT, was the 86 done right? A lot of people have no clue, do sloppy work, and just throw parts together.

What would be the deciding factor for me would be the paint and body. Which car has fewer flaws? Also look at the underbody. Which is less rusted? also look for leaks(rear main, etc).

Take both for a test drive. Yes, the 86 will be faster, but pay attention to other things. Compare how they idle, which car is smoother, any strange noises, etc?

If both cars are pretty close(besides those mods on the 86)......I'd say buy the one with the better paint job and the one with the fewest dents,dings,etc.
Forget about the coin- but, I totally agree with everything else in this last post. You don't know how well the mods/engine work were thought out or performed. Might be buying into someone else's nightmare there. Plus- The modded car stands a better chance of having been beat on. If the stocker was well cared for(as in better shape/cleaner than the '86), I'd roll with it. ;) Look VERY carefully!

Go here for some tips on buying a Turbo Regal.....Its much more than which one has more mods :rolleyes:

You need to think about rust, which one has the best body, how each car shifts and drives, interior.....way more than which one has the most mods.

brockblackz28 said:
I am looking at two gn's one is a 86 has alot of stuff on it valve job and guildes new spring, retainers bowl blended heads ,cam BV6-3A 268-8, Rollmaster timing chain and gears, 60lb inj, TE-44, Kirbans frame braces, rebilt trans with 2800 stall it has around 80K miles on it.
The other car is a 87 GN bone stock and has 120K miles on it. Which would you think would be the better buy and why? Also I am planning on using it as a daily driver for about a year. Both are about the same price too.

Seen em both. Good luck with your choice!

Hey Brock let me know i'd like to come if there local, believe ya me i know where the rust is hiding on these and i just might finish mine soon.

Personally, I would go with the stock car. You never know what shortcuts (if any have been made) with either of them , but the stock one would, I think, generally have been driven a little easier and be a better choice.

Good luck. Either car is a sure winner and will be a great car! :D

soundguy said:
a modded car selling for 7k in good shape, gotta wonder about that one.

why ???? I had a friend who just wanted out and no one here wanted his car so I bought it :eek:

20 years from now you'll be sitting on the front porch talking to some car guru, listening to him talk about the mighty 87' Grand National. To which you will reply...."I had an 86.".

Go with the 87'. Breaking parts on a modified car can cost you just as much as getting the stock one back up to par. Plus you have a clean slate.

I would go for the car that is in better overall shape - body, interior, etc. I would also lean towards the modded car. How do you know that the "stock" '87 wasn't modded, thrashed, returned to stock and the upgraded parts sold seperately?
Also, a 20 year old car - no matter what it is - is not my idea of a good reliable daily driver.

Just buy them both! :eek:

They aren't making anymore '86 or '87 GN's .... they are only going to appreciate. I would expect they will at least double maybe triple in value in the next 5-10 years.

It hasn't been too many years ago.. I remember '67 Camaro drivers... even SS's going for 2-3k. Now go try and find a (non SS or RS) driver.......8-10k might get you a beater....

Hey Thats true if one breaks I got another in the stable! Thanks for all the replies. I am going to look at one today teh 87 with 120K miles. The other GN is a far drive the only rust he says is a small bubble on the door the car's underbody is coated. onefastcar your more than welcome to come check it out. this evening some time

Let me know what time, i'm gettin home round 2:00pm give me a call at home i sure would like to see it if its local.

Back