You can type here any text you want

Diagnosing a worm cam

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

GNandTTA

Trying to diagnose a uniform low compression problem (115- 120) on all cylinders. Pulled the intake and found a small cup on the famous #3 exhaust lifter. All other lifters look fine and visual inspection of the cam shows no wiped lobe. All lifters look to be moving the same amount. However, I have been getting a bunch of grey sludge on the magnetic drain plug for a while now. My queston is: with a dial indicator can I measure the amount of travel the lifters move up to determine if the cam is worn? If so, what numbers (intake and exhaust) am I looking for. Or is it easier to measure rocker arm movement?

Not that many places for that grey sludge on the plug to come from and 100% that I have had it I had worn cam. I could tell just from making a mrk on a piece of metal when I had lifter at it's highest point and comparing it to the others. I had the intake off for easy viewing. Of course I had 1 lobe worn worse than the others so my problem was easy to spot.

Sully

You'll want to put the indicator on the lobe itself, or on the lifter body. Don't put it on the plunger.
When mine started to wipe, I was getting kr at low boost, and could only run ~13-14 psi on 92 octane gas, whereas before it was fine around 17...

A worn cam will not cause low compression on all cylinders, a worn out engine will. Sometimes a flat lobe will cause backfiring (for an exhaust lobe) or a higher rpm miss (if an intake lobe). How many miles are on the engine/cam/lifters? If you have the money for a rebuild now may be the time. Otherwise I would put a new set of lifters in and keep an eye on things, or put another cam in. But with low compression I think a cam is a waste of time, since a rebuild may not be far off. Unless you have some huge cam causing the low compression readings of course

I'd be checking for a very worn timing gear! "equal" low compression is generally a symptom of the cam being out of time by a tooth...

would a wiped lobe/lifter be visual on a cam and lifter ? could it be enough that you would not see it with the naked eye ? would the base circle be worn as well or just the lobe ? thanks.

I'd be checking for a very worn timing gear! "equal" low compression is generally a symptom of the cam being out of time by a tooth...
That's what I thought of first. Changed that a few months ago. No change. Pretty sure I set the marks right but I'm going to recheck it again.

Car has 71k. I've had it for 30k. Engine never opened up before I changed the timing chain.

A worn cam will not cause low compression on all cylinders, a worn out engine will
Boy do I hope this is not the problem. When I started it up for the first time since Nov. it fired right up, no smoke or anything. Car does not smoke out the breathers at any time. Plus if I am cruising along in OD, say over 60 mph and release the accelerator pedal the vacume shoots up to over 20. So I kinda (ass)umed that the rings are indeed sealing.

I was getting alot of KR at low boost levels.

Back