You can type here any text you want

difference in oil pan capacities and dipsticks

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

usetaboost

SAY CAR RAMROD!!
Is there a difference in oil pan capacities on the n/a pan and turbo pan? What about dipsticks? THey all the same or different? Always wondered this since I have an 83 turbo pan, 82 n/a dipstick. I've always just dumped 5 quarts in it just to be safe.

The tubes may be different but other than the total of bolts holding the pan on and the baffle there's no diff in the pans. The only diff in the sticks that I know of is the handle on the end of them.

I'll have to measure them and check it out. I thought I remember the haynes manual saying there's difference capacities

Had them side by side a few months ago so I could weld a baffle in and there's no diff in heights or width. The bottoms even look the same.;)

I think the only differance in pans is baffleing inside on the 4.1 V6.

My 1982 Onwer's Manual called for 6 quarts of oil, but the 1983 says 5. I put 5 in the '82 becuase I believe 6 quarts may fill the crank case above the pan gasket and lead to leaks.

Most that I've done over the years take about 4.5 quarts and are full so there's got to be some misinformation out there.

I wonder if the 5 quarts is a bone dry fill? I've read both, some say 5 is correct regardless what the stick reads, some say 4.5 is

I've had 3 oil dipsticks and two stick tubes all different, I added the right about of oil and made my own reference to be 100% sure.

Back