differential help ..

RED1987

Can anybody tell me if this pattern looks aceptable. Thanks in advance ..

Attachments

• 20151117_162314.jpg
    20151117_162314.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 176
  • 20151117_162245.jpg
    20151117_162245.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 154
What brand of gear set is that? I'd run it like that and see how it sounds. You can always adjust it if need be.

It could stand to be a little further in towards the root of the gear esp on the drive side, but its not too bad......what thickness shims did you end up with under the pinion bearing and what is the backlash? As stated above what brand gears?

Right-^ looks pretty good but what's the backlash? 6-9 and I'd run it!

It is actually for a 8.8 swap I'm doing on a typhoon . They are oem ford gears and are set at 9 thousands. The factory manual calls for 8 to 15 thousanths backlash . I was looking for some input on the pattern as this is my first time setting up a ring and pinion.

It is actually for a 8.8 swap I'm doing on a typhoon . They are oem ford gears and are set at 9 thousands. The factory manual calls for 8 to 15 thousanths backlash . I was looking for some input on the pattern as this is my first time setting up a ring and pinion.
The pattern is closer to the outer edge of the tooth on the drive side than I would like, if these are new gears I would move things around some to try get the pattern centered a little better but if they are used gears and still have the original pinion shim on them you are pretty much stuck with what you have. I also like to loctite the pinion nut at final assembly to keep it from backing off.

The gears are brand new. On the original pinion I had a 30 thousands shim I dropped it to 28 because it seemed a little deep in the root . I'm already on the tight side with the backlash at 9 so I really don't know what to do at this point . Thanks again for the help ..

The gears are brand new. On the original pinion I had a 30 thousands shim I dropped it to 28 because it seemed a little deep in the root . I'm already on the tight side with the backlash at 9 so I really don't know what to do at this point . Thanks again for the help ..
I hear you. We just set up a new set of ford gears in my sons mustang and i could not get the pattern where i wanted after 6 tries. I think your close i would just run it. Must be something with the fird gears. Best if luck to you.