You can type here any text you want

digital camera question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Little6pack

Do all newer digital cameras have a few seconds delay so it can foucus to get the best possible shot?

I know my older sony macava does this & I end up with a worse shot.

I want to find a simple point & shoot digi camera but without comprmising quality of the shot.

Any suggetions for a smaller pocket style? What do you all run?

All good cameras have that delay. If you want a point and shoot, get a disposible camera.

The camera takes a fraction of a second to shoot so that it can measure the light, measure the distance and focus in on the subject. If you push the button all the way down right off the bat, that's why you're getting crappy pictures. You have to push the button half way down, give it a fraction of a second to measure and then press it the rest of the way down.

I'm a graphic artist and have had several photography classes, and shoot a lot of pictures for my work. At work I use a coolpix 5000. At home I wanted something that fit in my pocket that I would actually carry with me and use, so I got a coolpix 4200. Most people will never use the resolution of a 5 megapixel camera. Heck, for a good quality 8x10 you really only need a 3 mega pixel camera. My suggestion is a good quality 4 megapixel. Sony, nikon, cannon etc all have good cameras for around $250-400. The coolpix is about the size of my cell phone. It also had the longest video capabilities. Do some research.

I bought mine on ebay from Cameta Camera's with a nationwide 3 year warrenty, brand new, with a card reader, camera case, extra battery, 256mb, card and a few other odds and ends for less than what the big electronics stores (best buy, circut city, brandsmart etc) were charging for just the camera.

I have a Sony Digital CyberShot W5 (DSC-W5), and it does take a second to focus. It takes awesome photos, with 5 megapix. I forget the max image size, but I can take pics that end up not fitting on my 19" monitor. :eek: I've never had any problems with the photo quality being compromised, but it is sensitive when a target is moving, in low-light conditions, but if I actually read the instruction manual, I could probably adjust it to correct this. My last camera was an OLD-school Sony MVC-FD-75, with a max resolution of 640x480. There simply is NO comparison in photo quality and size.

What specifically is being compromised? Blurry or "grainy" images?Try adjusting the settings in the camera....I know there are a lot of adjustments that can be made on my camera, but I've had good luck on the "auto" setting.

Steve

Steve,
No real problem with my SONY Macavia. it is old school it uses floppy diskettes & seems like a brick compared to the new cameras out there.

I have asked a few people who have owned newer cameras & they said they wait a lifetime for the auto focus to work. Maybe the even newer stuff is quicker.

I was at Wally mart on lunch break & I liked the FUJI F345 size & zoom it was not priced so I am checking the website in a few.

digital cameras

I had, and still use a sony FD 83, yea , its takes a sec to focus, then I bought a Pentax Optio, 4MP, 100x zoom, MPEG-4 movie,
is it the ultimate, no!, but it works for me, and allows me to choose stills or movies, and I bought more SD chips with more space, and extra batt's,
Wife is graphic artist for large hospital, (does web site, national Ad's, Annuals, etc) she loves it, has excellent clarity, and can take large enough pics to use on posters, etc, I know,, wait a week, something else will come along, better, cheaper.
Look for what suits your needs, don't go over board, as next week, something else will come along.
good luck
cruzn57

Back