Digital Gauge Cluster/Fuel Gauge

Jeff B

Hey guys,
Just wondering HOW accurate the fuel guage is on the digital dash? I know they historically arent too precise. Ive heard of them running out of gas at 4 gallons remaining. Basically, wheres the safe zone for filling up as to not run out of gas? And about how much fuel do you have left if your low fuel light were to come on? Also, what does the "car is leveling" light indicate? Does this light even function on the digital dash? I believe the 87 GN had self levelling suspension.
Thanks!
Jeff

The digital readout in the digital-equipped cars is VERY accurate. What kills the reading is a defective sending unit, not the dash part. Replace your fuel pump hanger and sender with a quality unit and you're back in business.

Beware of the aftermarket sending units; I have heard many problems with accuracy, dead spots, and so on. Get an OEM part if you can find it.

The GN's did not have self-leveling suspension, nor did they have LOW FUEL warning.

I believe the suspension leveling system was optional on the Riv's which shared the dash clusters.

On a different note and a little off-topic, the low fuel warning module was an option with the Riv's as well, and could be added to the ANALOG dash GN's and Regals, but not the DIGITAL dash cars.

Here's the low fuel warning module:
http://www.installationinstructions.com/FYI/low-fuel-warning-module.pdf

The digital readout in the digital-equipped cars is VERY accurate. What kills the reading is a defective sending unit, not the dash part. Replace your fuel pump hanger and sender with a quality unit and you're back in business.

Beware of the aftermarket sending units; I have heard many problems with accuracy, dead spots, and so on. Get an OEM part if you can find it.

Yeah well the speedo is spot on. Everytime i drive by one of those "your speed" radar detectors the police put in neighborhoods and stuff, it matches my readout exactly. Just not positive about the fuel. I heard they go empty at 4 gallons remaining. Want to test it out but dont want to risk running out of gas somewhere.