You can type here any text you want

disc brakes?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

oldsracer

Identity Crisis
Does anyone know or have ever tried to mount the disc brakes off a 1996 (bubble top years) police caprice on the 8.5 rear.

Any reason you're stuck on the Caprice brakes? Camaro LS1 brakes, pretty straightforward installation with great results.

Attachments

• Picture 266.jpg
    Picture 266.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 557
I was just saying caprice because their readily available at junkyards. Would any camaro brakes work or only LS1 ones.

LS1 are 12" brakes. All Camaros 98 thru 02 have the "ls1" brakes and are becoming common in boneyards. If you search here in this forum you can find installation instructions for both front and rear.

Attachments

• 4-9-08%20042.jpg
    4-9-08%20042.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 527
Any reason you're stuck on the Caprice brakes? Camaro LS1 brakes, pretty straightforward installation with great results.

John and I may not agree on most things but if you look in the B4Black section for "Finally got some some time" you can see where I converted my rears to disc rears off the last gen Camaro. It isn't that hard but it is a little time consuming. You can also use the rear disc set up off a last gen Blazer with a 1/4" spacer between the backing plate and the axle.

Can you run a 15" wheel with the camaro rears? As far a I know all you need is an adapter plate and all the parts from the rear brakes of the camaro. Hopefully someone will jump in and either confirm or deny my statement. Also do they allow for use of the e-brake? If there is a broken down thread of it that would be appreciated. Charlie I know you did it but it didn't really go in to this bolts to that and so on. Thanks

Can you run a 15" wheel with the camaro rears? As far a I know all you need is an adapter plate and all the parts from the rear brakes of the camaro. Hopefully someone will jump in and either confirm or deny my statement. Also do they allow for use of the e-brake? If there is a broken down thread of it that would be appreciated. Charlie I know you did it but it didn't really go in to this bolts to that and so on. Thanks

I'd say no on the 15" wheels. There is no adapter plate needed for use with LS1 brakes, just the parts from the donor LS1, and emergency brake mechanism which is part of the LS1 backing plate and drum is fairly easy to hookup.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/br...wheels/206369-ls1-f-body-rear-brake-swap.html

Thanks red thats the thread I was looking for. I guess I'll wait on that upgrade til I get some larger aftermarket wheels. Maybe Charlie can chime in and let me know more about the blazer setup. I'm assuming that would work with a 15" wheel since I think thats what they can with from the factory. Guess i won't need these brackets I have bookmarked.

"Hassle free" drum to disc rear conversion brackets

Those brackets accomodate something very similar to the early 80s front drive Eldorado rear disc brakes. The LS1 conversion results in considerably better stopping performance than stock TR brakes. I'm impressed! :D

Just did this on my car. Here's some pics for ya.:biggrin:

Attachments

• wheel clearance.jpg
    wheel clearance.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 485
  • DSCN0002.JPG
    DSCN0002.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 481
  • DSCN0001.jpg
    DSCN0001.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 480
I could be wrong but I think those are t-type wheels and thats the last gen blazer setup. Charlie did you have to do any mods to use that setup or is it basically a direct bolt on?

Yea i'd like to know too Charlie would the shocks work where they are or would reloctaion brakets be needed like in the link posted

The FBody rear brakes will work with 15's but will require some clearencing on the caliper.

anybody have a link? ls1 rear brakes would probably be the easiest thing for me to find since I can't find anything else locally

I could be wrong but I think those are t-type wheels and thats the last gen blazer setup. Charlie did you have to do any mods to use that setup or is it basically a direct bolt on?

Oh, that's right. The early caddy rear discs have a caliper that looks very similar to our stock TR front caliper. I'll let Charlie answer your question about the installation. It's not a direct bolt on.

What wheels are those? Looks reallll close

It's the Vectors. I bought them because of the width but can't use them now because of back spacing issues. They'll cause the tires to hit the fenders.:mad:

Aren't those the front drive 80s eldo rear disc brakes? Those Eldos came with 15" wheels, so I'd think that vintage disc brake will work with 15s.

That's the LS1's John. You can also use the LS1 disc with the Blazer caliper set up but you have to use a 1/4" spacer between the axle mount and the bracket. Wish I'd known this first because it doesn't cause issues with clearance if the rear bottoms out.

Check out "Finally got some time" in the B4Black section and you can see what's required to make it work. Several other mods as well to make the car hook better.:biggrin:

Back